Richard Bown wrote:
> Time to stick my oar in !
>
> A few facts as satellite coms are above 1 GHz, there will be no effect
> on them

In a large solar event that was pointing directly 'at' us, it could destroy
satellites and kill astronauts but these are both unlikely.

Satellites can malfunction during these events. Not all satellite coms are at
1Gc or higher, although most are much higher. (Often 14Gc or so going up, and
around 12 Gc coming back down) The trend in newer satellites is toward higher
freqs. but we still have a lot of stuff up there talking to us on the VHF and
UHF bands. There are freqs in use in both the 2m (144Mc) and 70cm (440Mc)
bands and radios being sold to work them :
http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/satellite/index.html

You are probably refering to the commercial, communications satellites and I
don't know all of the link frequencies for these but I think you are right
about these being > 1Gc.

> I'll explain why
>
> the increase in magnetic flux caused by a solar flare has several effect
> 1. it changes the properties of the ionosphere, which short wave comms
> relies on , hence the short wave black out.
It increases the level of ionization and reduces the heights of the layers of
the ionosphere. This reduces the skip-distance for frequencies below the MUF
(maximum freq. that is reflected back from the sky, dependent on the angle of
incidence of the signal with respect to the layer) and increases the MUF.

Lower amatuer bands ([EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]) that can
normally be worked
for long distances suddenly can't be since the layer that you are trying to
reflect off is much lower, the skip distance shorter, the number of hops to
get somewhere is higher so the loss gets higher. The noise level goes up also.

28Mc is good for local work only more of the time, under 'normal' conditions,
than otherwise. When solar activity is (moderately) higher things change and
28Mc can be used for some impressively long distances. (I've worked Australia
from the US using about 100W SSB and a simple 1/4 wave vertical antenna) When
'the skip is rolling' on the 27Mc CB band in the US local comm can become
almost impossible, because of the noise level from distant stations booming
in. It can take you more power to talk 5 or 10 miles than it does to talk
thousands of miles. I've worked clear across the country with only 4 watts...

> AM based transmission are very susceptible to this this includes TV
> transmissions..
This visual portion of the TV signal is AM, the audio is FM. All of the parts
of a given TV signal fit within a 6Mc wide band of frequencies. (US channel 6
is 82Mc-88Mc)

The frequency of the signal makes a much bigger difference in this case than
the type of modulation. The AM broadcast band is 0.55Mc to 1.7Mc. The FM
broadcast band is 88Mc to 108Mc. The 'AM' band is always reflected by the
ionosphere, the 'FM' band only during very unusual conditions.

 and AM radio.
> FM transmissions are less susceptible but are still effected.
> As the amont of doppler shift is randomised the tonal quality of speech
> on a AM transmission will sound like a whisper.
> TV pictures will be effected but not dramatically.
TV stations, normally well out of range, may be received. This is generally a
short-term effect though.

> As for mobile phones, no effect as these are all short range comms and
> are all above 800MHz and use either gMSK or WBCDMA.
The telco's depend on leased satellite services to tie their sites and
networks together. Skytel's service was wiped out for a day or so a while
back, because of satellite problems. Local services can get disrupted by
unusually high noise levels also.

> Right time to stop boring the list
I agree with you on this one also... at least we aren't talking about winders(tm).

- --
KevinO

If Microsoft built cars, If you were involved in a crash, you would have
no idea what happened.