HaywireMac wrote:

Anyhow, it does turn out we have a case of mismatched terminology here,
the *charged particles* in the solar wind can take days to reach the
Earth, whereas, of course, the actual EM radiation only takes minutes.

Actually, the "charged particles" that Fox (?) tried to talk about were low speed charged particules. However, it's not certain about its quantity. Otherwise, every minute every second, our sun is emitting a lot of high speed charged particles in solar wind. We call this *relativistic* (charged) particles because their speed is near to c, thus we have to apply relativity to them when we want to deal with them.

It is the storm of charged particles which wreaks havoc with telecom and
electrical systems here on the rock, the EM I'm not sure about, gotta do
more reading on that.