Thank you Haywire, Greg and Arn for your replies.

On Saturday 01 Nov 2003 9:29 pm, Greg Meyer wrote:
> 2.5 is included with at least 9.1 and 9.2.  Just 'urpmi
> autoconf2.5' or use rpmdrake to install it.

I am using Mandrake 9.2 (but haven't urpmi kernel yet, I
don't know which one to use).

I did urpmi autoconf2.5 and now autoconf behaves as
expected. Thanks.

I did urpmi automake1.7 but:

# ls -l /usr/bin/automake
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           26 Nov  1 21:52
/usr/bin/automake -> /etc/alternatives/automake

and

[EMAIL PROTECTED] alternatives]# ls -l automake
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           21 Nov  1 21:42
automake -> /usr/bin/automake-1.4*

There doesn't seeem to be any pl wrapper on this one, so I
changed the symlink so that:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] alternatives]# ls -l automake
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           21 Nov  1 22:00
automake -> /usr/bin/automake-1.7*

Any reason why I shouldn't have done so?

I consider all this to be based on a bug from urpmq. The
naming scheme for this two programs leads to confusion. I
keep upgrading my system but both automake and autoconf
never got upgraded because of that.
Moreover, without your help, I'd never found out about the
different versions: when I type the full name, I never
learn that there are alternatives:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] alternatives]# urpmq autoconf
autoconf

[EMAIL PROTECTED] alternatives]# urpmq autocon
The following packages contain autocon:
autoconf
autoconf2.5
zh-autoconvert
zh-autoconvert-devel
zh-autoconvert-xchat

same for any other program.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] alternatives]# urpmq vegastrike
vegastrike

[EMAIL PROTECTED] alternatives]# urpmq vegastrik
The following packages contain vegastrik:
vegastrike
vegastrike-data
vegastrike-data-music

Anyway, tell me if I have made a mistake or if I am saying
something wrong. This particular problem however seems
solved. Thanks.

I still have to figure out if I can install kdevelop.

Anguo

--
        In the news: UK councils dump Windows for Linux
Local authorities in Newham and Nottingham are expected to