Often times it is easier to blame someone else - especially if it is the
evil empire - than to try to find a solution.

When I loaded 9.1 on my brand new laptop w/ XP Pro, it was the smoothest
linux install I ever did (which may or may not indicate a positive
experience ;^) - it was good!

Windows can't "protect" itself if it isn't loaded! It can be tenacious if
it is loaded!

I doubt that the problems you have had in installing Linux have anything
to do with XP.

LeRoy