On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 21:55, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Sunday 02 November 2003 05:21 pm, Eric Huff wrote:
> > > I'd say you have "Virus Protection" set to "Yes" in the BIOS.
> >
> > What's that, where the bios doesn't allow you to run or even look at
> > Windows partitions?  :)
>
> The BIOS prevents you from writing anything to the mbr of the drive as a
> protection against virii.  Apparently, the BIOS people think linux is a virus
> :-D

All very well but protecting the mbr from within the bios is foolhardy.
It makes repair of a damaged system very difficult, if the partition
table has to be repaired.
It also causes problems with any write to the mbr, ie upgrade of a
kernel or loading a win4lin kernel.
I got caught once with an old 386, probably one of my first PCs since
then its always turned off.

Maybe Todd's comment about garbage data is very close to hitting the
nail on the head.

How many blocks of data are allocated to the mbr ?
is it the same for all OS's ?
what would happen if one OS used a very slightly different size mbr ?
I dont know, but some one on this list should

Richard
--
Richard Bown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>