On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 05:13 am, many eyes noted that James Sparenberg wrote:
>  > I usually compile any new kernels in the /home/charlie directory where
>  >
> > > I can access and boot from them even after a newer version install, as
> > > I don't ever upgrade. In this way the Mandrake kernel that comes with
> > > the new version install is in the system and by manually adding the
> > > new kernel to /etc/lilo.conf
>
> To make sure you never overwrite your original kernel (or any kernel
> that you have working.) make sure you edit the makefile and edit the
> EXTRAVERSION line.   This way each new kernel you build + it's modules
> are built totally separate from the last.
>
> James

Thanks James,
             I usually place the source into /home/charlie/kernel, then unzip it and
it creates a directory of its own :- linux-2.4.xx-xxmdk or something similar.
Then symlink to that directory from lilo. But putting the image itself in
/boot sounds like a good way to go. I usually symlink into the other
distributions also. But maybe just copying the image to /boot might be
better.

Charlie

--
A steady wind scours the autumn moon
>From a stagnant pool,
>From the crystal spring every place pure now
Just as it is.
Why, then, does karma yet coil and bind?

- Miao Yin (376-380)

This email is guaranteed to be wholly Linux Mandrake 9.1, Kmail v1.5 and
OpenOffice.org1.1.0