On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 02:24 pm, many eyes noted that flacycads wrote:
> > > To make sure you never overwrite your original kernel (or any kernel
> > > that you have working.) make sure you edit the makefile and edit the
> > > EXTRAVERSION line.   This way each new kernel you build + it's modules
> > > are built totally separate from the last.
> > >
> > > James
> >
> > Thanks James,
> >            I usually place the source into /home/charlie/kernel, then
> > unzip it and it creates a directory of its own :- linux-2.4.xx-xxmdk or
> > something similar. Then symlink to that directory from lilo. But putting
> > the image itself in /boot sounds like a good way to go. I usually symlink
> > into the other distributions also. But maybe just copying the image to
> > /boot might be better.
> >
> > Charlie
>
> Charlie,
> I can't recall ever reading any kernel how to or article saying one should
> symlink in /boot to a kernel in a home dsirectory, or anywhere else.
> Everything I've ever seen always instructed me to copy the kernel image
> itself to /boot. My method is that I always go with the distro's kernel
> first when I install a new version or distro, which is usually done with
> the source and a symlink in /usr/src. Then I add all other kernels in my
> /home/wrc/ kernel directory, and copy the images to /boot, as I mentioned.
> As I play with many kernels, for me this is much quicker and safer than
> having to mess with symlinking everytime. I just leave the original distro
> kernel & source in /usr/src alone, and always have an out if I mess
> something up. However, I must say I can't recall the last time I messed up
> a kernel doing it in /home/ wrc/kernel. Not that I'm any great Linux guru-
> it's just that this way is very straight-forward and consistent, and
> virtually foolproof. In Gentoo, you need to remember to mount /boot, but
> not in Mandrake, as they do it for you at boot time.
>
> Robert

Apologies Robert,
                You're quite right. I usually make a symlink to the kernel itself
within the
kernel directory, calling it linux-1 or sometimes, if it is a different
distribution, linux-slack, but as a rule stick to numbers. I remember in one
of my early kernel build attempts when I first started with linux just over
18 months ago. I named a kernel something like linux-2.2.xx_xx-redhat or some
such thing, and produced an error message that I can't recall, but telling me
that the name was too long or some such thing. So I kept the symlink simple
as possible. I do usually copy the bzImage to /boot along with the
System.map. I must have been writing that post while looking through the
bottom of a glass. I am also not that au fait with Linux. But enjoy fooling
about with kernels, like Ratty said; in the wind in the willows, "there is
nothing half so much worth doing as messing about with kernels." Or did he
say that in relation to boats?

Charlie.

--
A steady wind scours the autumn moon
>From a stagnant pool,
>From the crystal spring every place pure now
Just as it is.
Why, then, does karma yet coil and bind?

- Miao Yin (376-380)

This email is guaranteed to be wholly Linux Mandrake 9.1, Kmail v1.5 and
OpenOffice.org1.1.0