On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 12:11 pm, many eyes noted that Larry Sword wrote:
> Charlie wrote:
> >In case this is one assistance to anyone who might not have been able to
> > get k3b to recognise their writer.
> >
> >I use LiteOn CD readers and writers exclusively on any of my own systems
> > or systems that I build.
> >
> >Using Mandrake 9.1
> >
> >On one of my systems I had a reader and writer on the one cable. The
> > reader was at the end of the cable, and later I installed and connected a
> > writer into the center of the cable. I then started to use k3b which
> > recognised both accurately. However, after some months, the reader had
> > problems. The reader didn't read and the system told me that no media was
> > present.
> >
> >The reader was jumpered as the master and the writer was jumpered as the
> >slave.
> >
> >I couldn't boot a CD-ROM, so I altered the positions of both drives on the
> >cable. Put the writer at the end and the reader in the centre of the
> > cable, and jumpered the writer as master and just to fill up the hole and
> > try the reader again, still put the plug in and jumpered it as slave.
> >
> >Surprise, surprise. The reader worked again and the writer booted CD's But
> >when I tried to burn CD's, k3b would not recognise the writer. Saw it only
> > as a reader. Just in case, uninstalled k3b and then reinstalled it, but
> > it still registered 2 readers, no writer.
> >
> >So I took a panel of the box, left the CD drives where they were, but just
> >jumpered the writer as slave again, and the reader as master. Invoked k3b,
> > it now recognised the writer as such and the reader correctly also. The
> > reader still worked and the writer with k3b burned CD's without and
> > trouble.
> >
> >Thought I would pass this on in case it might help anyone that was having
> >trouble with k3b not recognising writers>
> >
> >Charlie.
>
> One question, did you change the settings in LILO and reboot after
> changing the location of the drives on the IDE channel?
>
> Larry

No I didn't do that Larry. I don't have any reference in /etc/lilo.conf to
CD-Roms that I can find, and I run grub on that system. But I did change the
entries in /etc/fstab without any joy.

Charlie.

--
A steady wind scours the autumn moon
>From a stagnant pool,
>From the crystal spring every place pure now
Just as it is.
Why, then, does karma yet coil and bind?

- Miao Yin (376-380)

This email is guaranteed to be wholly Linux Mandrake 9.1, Kmail v1.5 and
OpenOffice.org1.1.0