On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Rolf Pedersen wrote:

> Markus Gonaus wrote:
> > Am Fre, den 07.11.2003 schrieb Vtucatz elPunishar um 03:48:
> >>but whats speaking against that is that if i re-install X, the XFree86
> >>binary is still
> >>not there.
> >>well, here is what i did, perhaps someone can tell me if that was good and
> >>if it
> >>should suffice or if i have to do something else..
> >>
> >>rpm -e XFree86
> >>urpmi XFree86

I have exactly the same problem here: After a _clean_ reboot the day
before yesterday, approximately 3600(!) files were missing, 85% of them
being locales.
Among them was "/usr/share/vim/tutor/tutor.it", but
    rpm -e --nodeps vim-minimal vim-enhanced vim-common
    urpmi vim-minimal vim-enhanced vim-common
didn't help.

> chkrootkit is in contrib/  You can add a contrib source with urpmi.setup

I did that already, but to no avail (i.e., nothing was found).  As the
server in question (Sony GRX516MD laptop, running under 2.4.22-18mdk, ext3
only) seems to be pretty secure (though I will try some other intrusion
detection beasts later--any suggestions?), this is what I expected.
The only cause I could think of right now is some malicious rpm package
(though nearly all packages came from the 9.2 isos and club) -- maybe
"Vtucatz elPunishar" and I should exchange rpm lists?

Ad astra,
--
Dipl.-Inf. Markus Ueberall           Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität
Tel: (069)798-28361  Fax: -23340    Institut für Informatik / Telematik