On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 10:41, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Recently I have noticed that my drive is noisy from time to time.  It
> is a 6-month old drive, with an older one as slave.  I have unmounted
> all the partitions on the old drive, but it is still happening, so I
> have to assume that it is the new drive.
>
> We have had workmen in the house for over 2 weeks, and there has been
> an incredible amount of dust.  I cleaned out the inside of the box as
> well as I could after the main part of the work was complete, but it
> was only at about time that the noise started.  I think it is when
> writing to swap.
>
> I suspect that dust has got in where I cannot follow.  How likely is
> that?
>
> I wonder if I should be buying another drive of the same size, then
> doing an overnight cp -a to the new drive, then attempting to use
> rsync to keep them mirrored, just in case.  What do you think?
>
> Anne

Dust won't affect the drive, but heat will.  If the drive is mounted
with another drive right on top or right on the bottom, it can
disentegrate from not being able to shed heat.  One inch of airspace on
top and bottom should be about right.

Another thing is if a drive is left on 24/7, it will not (normally) last
as long as a drive that is powered down.  Which is one reason that I
power down systems that are not being used; the bearings have a finite
number of rotations on them before they fail.  Not just the bearings in
the hard disks but also all the fan/motor bearings.  However that
shouldn't be an issue with a 6 month old drive.

The probability is that you have some sort of manufacturers defect with
this drive and should start thinking about sending it in for
replacement.  If you are dead sure that this drive is the source of the
noise, I would be calling in for an RMA number.

LX
--
Linux Mandrake 9.1      Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk