Hi,

Just installed Mandrake Linux PPC 9.1 on what I belive is called a "Blue&White" G3
(actually, it appears greenish).

When I reach the "First Stage Mandrake Linux PPC Bootstrap" and press 'l', the kernel
starts its initialisation, but does not find the IDE-disk - the output contains the
line -

"hda: driver not present"

It ends up with a "Kernel panic: No init found."-message. This, I *guess*, is the
result of the kernel not being able to find the root file system.

What does this really mean?

     -----

I can boot from within OpenFirmware from the first Mandrake CD, select e.g. the
"rescue" kernel, go out into the console and manually mount hda3 (root "/"
file-system) and hda5 ("home" file-system) under "/mnt" or something. The file systems
are present - IDE-access is available from the kernel on the cd.

Looking at the output from "dmesg" kind of indicates that the two IDE-devices are
recognized - the CD/DVD and the 6Gb IDE disk.

Both "pdisk --list" and "lspart" to the best of my knowledge indicates a reasonable
partition-table - "Apple_partition_map" on 1, a 1 Mb partition "Apple_Bootstrap" on 2
- followed by the root, swap and home partitions on 3, 4 and 5. All in all there are
five partions on my "/dev/hda".

     -----

I do not know what to look at. As far as I can interpret, an IDE-driver is present.
Is my partitioning wrong? Any yaboot parameters I should inspect or reset?

What do I do to make the machine boot?

Regards,
Morten Sabroe Mortensen