-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Stew Benedict
Sent: 12. november 2003 13:49
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Q: Failure to boot installed Linux PPC 9.1 on G3

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Morten S. Mortensen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just installed Mandrake Linux PPC 9.1 on what I belive is called a "Blue&White" G3
> (actually, it appears greenish).
>
> When I reach the "First Stage Mandrake Linux PPC Bootstrap" and press 'l', the
> kernel starts its initialisation, but does not find the IDE-disk - the output
> contains the line -
>
> "hda: driver not present"
>
> It ends up with a "Kernel panic: No init found."-message. This, I *guess*, is the
> result of the kernel not being able to find the root file system.
>
> What does this really mean?

There have been issues on selected machines with IDE.  The ide drivers
changed quite significantly in the kernel.org kernel, and don't seem to
work on some Apple machine in the final released version, whereas they do
seem to work in the version the installer uses.  Changing to the BenH
kernel will probably resolve your issue.

Boot rescue, go to the console, mount your "/" on /mnt

mount /dev/hdaX /mnt (x=number of your /)
chroot /mnt
mount /proc /proc -t proc
place your 1st CD in the drive
mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom (a guess, yours may not be hdc)
urpmi kernel-benh (this should grab the rpm from the CD and install it)
if the above fails, then:
rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/kernel-benh<TAB>

cat /etc/yaboot.conf (verify a new entry in /etc/yaboot.conf)
umount /mnt/cdrom
umount /proc
exit (exit chroot)
umount /mnt (don't fret if this fails)
sync; sync
reboot

select the benh kernel from the kernel selections after "l"

If this works, edit /etc/yaboot.conf and change the default to the benh
kernel.  Then run ybin (as root)

--
Stew Benedict