Hi,

>> [root]# more /etc/pam.d/smtp
>> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
>> service=system-auth account    required
>> /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
>>
>> But still couldn't get it to work (continuous prompt for
>> username/password from OE). I then changed pwcheck_method: sasldb. I
>> can now send/receive mail.
>
> Really strange, that should not work at all (to check the sasldb it
> should be "pwcheck_method: auxprop" according to the documentation).
> Sasl is probably using another method instead of plaintext. Try to add
>
> mech_list: plain
>
> in /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf to see if it makes a difference

I followed http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/postfix-sasl.php. I changed
"pwcheck_method: sasldb" in /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf then followed by
"saslpasswd2 -a smtpd". I already have

sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN

in /etc/imapd.conf. I also made "smtpd_sasl_local_domain =" in
/etc/postfix/main.cf. Is this the correct way of doing things?

>> However, I still have one more question, sasldb means I need to
>> useradd/passwd to create new users. I also need to add users to cyrus
>> through cyradm.
>
> Well, yes, but this is a separate issue: you have to create a
> *mailbox* with cyradm. The authentication method is configured
> through sasl. Cyrus-imapd in my package is configured to use
> saslauth->pam. Configuring postfix for smtp auth is another issue
> altogether (though the authentication is managed using cyrus-sasl
> libraries).

I'm just confused. I was hoping to authenticate against cyrus mailbox and do
smtp auth with one set of account. That way it would be easy to maintain. By
changing pwcheck_method: sasldb in smtpd.conf, I made it to authenticate
against sasl.db for smtp auth, and login to cyrus mailbox against
/etc/passwd?

Regards,
Norman