On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, dfox wrote:

> This used to work but I think partially due to my recent problem, spam
> assassin won't start up anymore. I get execvp: no such file or directory
> when doing 'service spamassassin start". I think it's time to start the
> thing again from telinit 1 to be sure. No wonder I am getting so much
> spam in my inbox.
>
> Thoughts? I figure execvp is a call to look for a file, but heaven knows
> which one at this point. In removing and reinstalling postfix, anything
> could have happened. Months ago, I set up spamassassin as a per-user
> filter run through procmail.

Is /usr/bin/spamd even still there? And /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf?

My thoughts on this are that it's high time that you copied off all of
your tweaked config files (after going over each one with a fine-toothed
comb and a magnifying glass) and wiped that compromised box. Really now,
David, what in $DEITY's name are you waiting for? Even if you sort out one
problem like this one after another, you still won't know a) that it isn't
still accessible by whoever got in, or b) that they won't return and undo
any repairs that you make now at some point in the future (or do worse).

The first Linux box I ever ran (which had Caldera OpenLinux2.2 on it; this
was before I discovered Mandrake) was cracked, and I learned then the hard
way that there is only one sane course of action in that situation - blow
it all away and start over. BTW, that was also *why* I discovered Mandrake
(7.1), so I suppose that the SOB actually did me a favor, in a way ... ;)

Just my $0.02USD ...

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people