On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:00 -0500, "William Schlieper" <schlie...@unc.edu>
wrote:

> > string-buffer instance each time it is called. So, is there some
> > non-obvious reason why it is preferable to use 'clone', or are the docs
> > wrong/out-of-date?
> >
> When SBUF" " and the like are put in a word, they are only actually
> called once, and the new string-buffer is stored inside the word's
> definition.

Ah ... because it is a parsing word, right? In that case, I suppose that
in principle the point should be obvious once you understand how parsing
words work. In practice, though, it seems like a stumbling block for
people new to Factor. So please put this on the list of issues to cover
in the improved new-user documentation, whenever somebody gets around to
writing it ("somebody" could be me at some point, though I don't think
I'm quite ready just yet).

Thanks for the clarification!

--
Matt Gushee