On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 04:25:19PM -0800, Ed Keith wrote:
> I think someone is on a crusade to get everything but his or her pet
> subject removed from Wikipedia. Half the pages I've visited in the
> last moth have been marked for deletion. If they all go there will not
> be much left.

Not quite: *many* people are on a crusade to delete anything even
slightly obscure from Wikipedia. Check through the "articles for
deletion" queue some time, I guarantee you'll find plenty that shouldn't
be deleted in there (and plenty of rules-lawyers willing to defend that
deletion long past the point where you've given up the will to live).

To the present point, note that Wikipedia rules determine notability by
reference to "independent, reliable, published sources". So newspapers,
magazines and so on count, but blogs don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reliable_sources

Yes, it's fricking 2011 and these guidelines are completely outdated; if
anyone feels like running for Wikimedia President, changing the rules
and banning all the deletionists then you'd have my full support. But
back to Factor's article: unless some computing magazine or other has
covered Factor, our best bet might be to cite scholarly journal
articles. ISTR there are a few of these? Though again, "a review
article, monograph, or textbook is better than a primary research paper.
When relying on primary sources, extreme caution is advised".

Miles

--
The Tube is Civilization!
  -- Tycho Brahe, "Penny Arcade"