Hi --

Sorry for such a delayed response to this.   First of all, I want to make it
absolutley clear that I was not criticizing Factor in the message below.  I was
simply noting that the flip side of any language being as expressive and
extensible as is Factor is the increased opportunity it brings to
miscommunicate -- or not communicate at all, is really what I mean -- except
perhaps to the machine you are trying to instruct.  It's the old adage "Any
fool can write programs that a computer can understand; it takes a talented
developer to write programs that a human being can understand."  With power
comes license is the only point I was trying to make -- not a criticism, just a
statement of reality.  And as you note in your response, at this stage of
Factor's development and with the limited resources available to create
infrastructure that would help promote coding standards and lower the barrier
to entry, there's not a whole lot that can be done about this issue.  So once
more, not a criticism -- more a lament.

As for integration, I can see from your description of Factor's host
integration that we may indeed have different notions about this.  Compared to
Lisp or Scheme I'm sure that Factor comes out ahead, no doubt about it.  When I
speak about integration, however, I am talking about integration with
mainstream computing runtimes -- like .NET's Common Language Runtime or J2EE --
an integration that would make it possible to use Factor fluidly and easily
alongside such languages as Java and C#, which it is never going to replace,
but could augment very nicely.  In some sense this is probably unfair of me, as
it is clear that Factor is coming out of a functional language tradition that
isn't particularly integrated into mainstream enterprise computing environments
either.   It just seems to me that as a language Factor has so much promise and
has the capability of being so expressive and so direct and natural in its
translation of concepts that I find myself wishing I had it to use with my team
and their work in enterprise development.  Clearly I'm talking about stuff that
could certainly be developed, but just hasn't been yet -- perhaps because I'm
the only one who sees a need for it at this point.

In my message below I really was countering the sentiment by the original
poster, who was longing for Factor to be the machine -- OS and everything else.
  I was countering with an idea in the opposite direction of having Factor be
as easily consumable inside of a C# program as, say, inline assembly is inside
of a C++ program or Java scriptlets are inside of a server-side JSP page.  The
idea being that I want to use the prepackaged resources of an OS or a runtime
library.  I don't want to build my web infrastructure in Factor when some high
percentage of the programmers out there are working in C# or Java. It's just
not practical.  But maybe this isn't a use case that the language creators
intended to address.

Hope this clarifies.

Mike