Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 18:16:11 -0800
From: arc...@gmail.com
To: factor-talk@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Factor-talk] Shared libraries considered harmful

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Michael Clagett <mclag...@hotmail.com> wrote:

As for integration, I can see from your description of Factor's host
integration that we may indeed have different notions about this.  Compared to
Lisp or Scheme I'm sure that Factor comes out ahead, no doubt about it.  When I
speak about integration, however, I am talking about integration with
mainstream computing runtimes -- like .NET's Common Language Runtime or J2EE --
an integration that would make it possible to use Factor fluidly and easily
alongside such languages as Java and C#

That makes sense, Michael. Interop with mainstream managed platforms would be
great, but the interfaces for doing so are somewhat daunting. JNI is a
nightmare. I've heard rumors that CLR objects can interop through COM
interfaces, which we could potentially use through Factor's COM bridge, but
documentation is scarceā€”is the ABI used between native and CLR code by C++/CLI
documented anywhere? At any rate, the lack of finalizers or other automatic
resource management on the Factor side would still make managing references to
Java or C# objects inconvenient. It's definitely something worth exploring
deeper, though.

-Joe