I'm not sure about your first question, our "popups" are just rendered in
the window itself, I think we could easily support modal windows but I
don't think support for this has been generalized to all windows.  You can
see an example of an application-modal window working like this
(implemented as a HOOK instead of a window property):

    IN: scratchpad "caption" "text" system-alert

When you prettyprint, using ``.``, you are basically printing to whatever
the ``output-stream`` is currently set to.  You can easily choose a
different output-stream like this:

    ! prints using the "global" output-stream which is stdout
    IN: scratchpad "Test" [ . ] with-global

    ! prints to the a listener window
    IN: scratchpad "Test" get-listener input>> output>> [ . ]
with-output-stream

    ! prints to a file
    IN: scratchpad "Test" "/tmp/foo" utf8 [ . ] with-file-writer

Hope that helps!