on 3/13/05 3:03 PM, at_man_and_brahman at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> Any guru who prefaces public statements
> with "my children..." loses me pretty quickly.

Karunamayi uses the phrase "My babies."

> I don't have any deep knowledge of Amma's
> gig, but the very distant view I have is of a
> pretentious attitude toward those who
> approach her. As I recall, for instance,
> someone here quoted her as having
> commented on Maharishi and Muktananda
> that she "created them." Whoa.

I posted that story. I heard it anecdotally. The saints referred to were
Maharishi and Ramakrishna.

> Maharishi, in general, treats other people
> like adults, not as subservient children,
> at least in the way he addresses them.

In terms of his terminology, yes, but the "caste" differences are greater in
my experience. I've never seen him shovel shit, as Amma has literally done.

> I also question the ethics of any of the various
> gurus who have set up outposts (or inposts)
> in Fairfield. If they truly respected Maharishi,
> I think they would discourage such
> encroachment on the spiritual community
> he founded.

Who said they had to respect him? Also, they were all invited by people who
no longer felt that the TMO was serving their spiritual needs.