If you read this, I think you'll be surprised. I was.

A Visit With Terri Schiavo

Attorney Barbara Weller

This past Christmas Eve day, 2004, I went to visit Terri Schiavo with
her
parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, her sister, her niece, and Attorney
David
Gibbs III. The visit took place at the Woodside Hospice for about 45
minutes
just before noon.

When I knew I was going to visit Terri with her parents, I had no
idea what to
expect. I was prepared for the possibility that the Schindlers love
their
daughter and sister so much that they might imagine behaviors by
Terri that
aren't actually evident to others. The media and Mr. Schiavo clearly
give the
impression that Terri is in a coma or comatose state and engages only
in non-
purposeful and reflexive movements and responses. I am a mother and a
grandmother, as well as one of the Schindlers' attorneys, and I
could
understand how parents might imagine behavior and purposeful activity
that
is not really there. I was prepared to be as objective as I could be
during this
visit and not to be disappointed at anything I saw or experienced.

I was truly surprised at what I saw from the moment we entered the
little room
where Terri is confined. The room is a little wider than the width of
two single
beds and about as long as the average bedroom, with plenty of room
for us to
stand at the foot of her bed. Terri is on the first floor and there
is a lovely view
to the outside grounds of the facility. The room is entered by a
short hallway,
however, and there is no way for Terri to see out into the hallway or
for
anyone in the hallway to observe Terri.

>From the moment we entered the room, my impression was that Terri was
very purposeful and interactive and she seemed very curious about the
presence of obvious strangers in her room. Terri was not in bed, but
was in
her chair, which has a lounge chair appearance and elevates her head
at
about a 30-degree angle. She was dressed and washed, her hair combed,
and she was covered with a holiday blanket. There were no tubes of
any kind
attached to her body. She was completely free of any restraints that
would
have indicated any type of artificial life support. Not even her
feeding tube
was attached and functioning when we entered, as she is not fed 24
hours a
day.

The thing that surprised me the most about Terri as I took my turn to
greet her
by the side of her chair was how beautiful she is. I would have
expected to
see someone with a sallow and gray complexion and a sick looking
countenance. Instead, I saw a very pretty woman with a peaches and
cream
complexion and a lovely smile, which she even politely extended to me
as I
introduced myself to her. I was amazed that someone who had not been
outside for so many years and who received such minimal health care
could
look so beautiful. She appeared to have an inner light radiating from
her face.
I was truly taken aback by her beauty, particularly under the adverse
circumstances in which she has found herself for so many years.

Terri's parents, sister, and niece went immediately to greet
Terri when we
entered the room and stood in turn directly beside her head, stroking
her face,
kissing her and talking quietly with her. When she heard their
voices, and
particularly her mother's voice, Terri instantly turned her head
towards them
and smiled. Terri established eye contact with her family,
particularly with her
mother, who spent the most time with her during our visit. It was
obvious that
she recognized the voices in the room with the exception of one.
Although her
mother was talking to her at the time, she obviously had heard a new
voice
and exhibited a curious demeanor. Attorney Gibbs was having a
conversation
near the door with Terri's sister. His voice is very deep and
resonant and Terri
obviously picked it up. Her eyes widened as if to say,
"What's that new sound I
hear?" She scanned the room with her eyes, even turning her head
in his
direction, until she found Attorney Gibbs and the location of the new
voice and
her eyes rested momentarily in his direction. She then returned to
interacting
with her mother.

When her mother was close to her, Terri's whole face lit up. She
smiled. She
looked directly at her mother and she made all sorts of happy sounds.
When
her mother talked to her, Terri was quiet and obviously listening.
When she
stopped, Terri started vocalizing. The vocalizations seemed to be a
pattern,
not merely random or reflexive at all. There is definitely a pattern
of Terri
having a conversation with her mother as best she can manage.
Initially, she
used the vocalization of "uh'uh" but without seeming to
mean it as a way of
saying "no", just as a repeated speech pattern. She then
began to make
purposeful grunts in response to her mother's conversation. She
made the
same sorts of sound with her father and sister, but not to the same
extent or as
delightedly as with her mother. She made no verbal response to her
niece or
to Attorney Gibbs and myself, but she did appear to pay attention to
our words
to her.

The whole experience was rather moving. Terri definitely has a
personality.
Her whole demeanor definitely changes when her mother speaks with
her.
She lights up and appears to be delighted at the interaction. She has
an
entirely different reaction to her father who jokes with her and has
several
standing jokes that he uses when he enters and exits her presence.
She
appears to merely "tolerate" her father, as a child does when
she says "stop"
but really means, "this is fun." When her father greets her,
he always does the
same thing. He says, "here comes the hug" and hugs her. He
then says, "you
know what's coming next---the kiss." Her father has a
scratchy mustache and
both times when he went through this little joke routine with her,
she laughed
in a way she did not do with anyone else. When her father is ready to
plant
the kiss on her cheek, she immediately makes a face her family calls
the
"lemon face." She puckers her lips, screws up her whole face,
and turns away
from him, as if making ready for the scratchy assault on her cheek
that she
knows is coming. She did the exact same thing both times that her
father
initiated this little routine joke between the two of them.

The interactions with her family and our appearance in her room
appeared to
require some effort and exertion from Terri. From time to time, she
would close
her eyes as if to rest. This happened primarily when no one was
paying
particular attention to her, but we were talking among ourselves.
After a few
minutes or when one of the visitors approached her and started to
talk directly
to her again, Terri would open her eyes and begin her grunting sounds
again
close
and stroked her arms and spoke to her, she did not verbally respond
to me.

Terri's hands are curled up around little soft cylinders that
help her not to
injure herself. I understand that these contractures are likely very
painful,
although there was a time when Terri was receiving simple motion
therapy
when her hands and arms relaxed and were no longer as constricted.
When
the therapy was discontinued by order of her guardian and the court,
the
contractures returned. These contractures would apparently be
avoidable if
Terri were given the simple range of motion therapy she previously
received.
It is very sad to observe firsthand these conditions that make her
life more
difficult, but that would be correctable with little effort.

When we were preparing to leave, the interactions with Terri changed.
First,
she went through the joke routine with her father and the "lemon
face." When
her niece said goodbye to her, Terri did not react. Nor did she react
to me or
to Attorney Gibbs when we said our goodbyes to her. When her sister
went to
her to say goodbye, Terri's verbalizations changed dramatically.
Instead of
the happy grunting and "uh uh" sounds she had been making
throughout the
visit, her verbalizations at these goodbyes changed to a very low and
different
sound that appeared to come from deep in her throat and was almost
like a
growl. She first made the sound when her sister said goodbye and
then,
amazingly to me, she made exactly the same sound when her mother said
goodbye to her. It seemed Terri was visibly upset that they were
leaving. She
almost appeared to be trying to cling to them, although this
impression came
only from her changed facial expression and sounds, since her hands
cannot
move. It appeared like she did not want to be alone and knew they
were
leaving. It was definitely apparent in the short time I was there
that her
emotions changed—it was apparent when she was happy and enjoying
herself, when she was amused, when she was resting from her exertion
communicate, and when she was sad at her guests leaving. It was
readily
apparent and surprising that her mood changed so often in a short
45-minute
visit.

I was pleasantly surprised to observe Terri's purposeful and
varied behaviors
with the various members of her family and with Attorney Gibbs and
myself. I
never imagined Terri would be so active, curious, and purposeful. She
watched people intently, obviously was attempting to communicate with
each
one in various ways and with various facial expressions and sounds.
She was
definitely not in a coma, not even close. This visit certainly shed
more light for
me on why the Schindlers are fighting so hard to protect her, to get
her
medical care and rehabilitative assistance, and to spend all they
have to
protect her life.

I realize that Terri has good days and bad days. There are obviously
days
when she does not interact with her family, as they had previously
told us.
There are also apparently days when Terri is even more interactive
and
responsive to them than she was on the day I visited. Since this
visit I am
more convinced than ever that the Schindlers are not just parents who
refuse
to let go of their daughter. There really is a lot going on with
their daughter
and potentially, it seemed obvious to me, Terri could improve even
more with
appropriate care and 24 hour a day love that can only come from a
dedicated
family. As I watched her, my foremost thought was that on the next
day,
Christmas, Terri should not have been confined to her small room in a
hospice center, nice as that room was, but that she should have been
gathered around the Christmas dinner table enjoying the holiday with
her
family.