--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, m2smart4u2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000"

> on a
> >
> > I've watched 2 people with advanced terminal illness die by
> choosing
> > to disconnect from their tubes and in neither case was there any
> sign
> > of pain, in fact the psychology seemed to improve as they
gradually
> > passed over, in fact 1 person who had been taking morphine stopped
> > near the end.  I don't know the medical science of this but I
don't
> > think this way of ending it involves extra suffering.

> want
> > > to take charge of her situation, if they want to administer
some
> > > kind of therapy, why should they not be allowed to do this.
Why
> > > can't the husband simply divorce her and move on.  Who cares if
> she
> > > will ever progress or not.  They want to keep her alive.  What
> skin
> > > does the husband need to have in the game at this point.  I
> suspect
> > > it's something other than trying to fulfill her unwritten but
> > > suppossedly expressed wish to not be kept alive in this fashion.
> >
> > If my wife told me and her best friends that she did not want to
be
> > kept alive in this way, then I would try to fulfill her wishes
out
> of
> > respect and love - it's the parents who seem to have some other
> agenda
> > of their own.
>
> A good friend's father had a stroke and was clearly not going to
> improve. He couldn't talk or do anything on his own. The prognosis
> was not good and the man was old. The doctors asked the
> family, "would you like us to give morphine?" The implication was
> that the increase in morphine would not only ease his pain but
speed
> up the death process. The family agreed to this, stayed close and
> said their good byes. I think there is alot of unrecorded
> euthanasia. The problems seem to arise when there is objection or
> disagrement about allowing someone to die. Clearly we wouldn't
allow
> a distraught person to end their life. Who can determine what is
> right or wrong for another person? That is really the situation.
> Everyone has an opinion on someobdy else's life choices.Everyone is
> playing God, especially the government. From this side of the
> spectrum, death seems like such a big deal. Maybe from a broader
> perspective, it is no big deal.
> My own grandfather had prostrate cancer. The cancer was advanced.
> The family could handle that he was going to die. We thought, "just
> let him have his dignity" BUT NOOO, the doctors then wanted to cut
> him up as much as possible, prolong a life that was now into
> suffering. He didn't need to live another few weeks like that all
> disorientated and miserable, walking around some hospital. There
was
> that book "something ...down under" about the aboriginies in
> Australia, and these people chose their own death time, had a
party,
> said good bye, sat in lotus and left the body.

*********

A meditating physician in Fairfield told me that at one hospital
where he worked, some doctors were fascinated in keeping alive babies
born with no brain (anencephaly)
http://www.anencephalie-info.org/e/faq.htm#faqe1

In an age of low consciousness, when people think that the self is
the body, a fascination with mere technical details of life is not
uncommon, but what a waste of life and time!