--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "L B Shriver"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, m2smart4u2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "crukstrom"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
>

> snip
>

> > > I was thinking along these lines once and decided that what we
> > need
> > > is a "take Christ down from the cross campaign". Poor guy,
being
> > > kept symbolically nailed to that cross for all this time, on
> > > millions upon millions of those crucifixion idols, being
churned
> > out
> > > in factories and shops on a non-stop basis across the globe.
For
> > > Christs sake, let him down, he's suffered enough.
> > >
> > > Rick Carlstrom
> >
> > Yeah I thought the whole point was that he came back from the
dead,
> > or more specifically, ascended, so why keep him "in death", so
> > weird. They always want to say how "Christ died for our sins" , I
> > mean get over it, he ain't suffering now.The whole point of dying
> > seems lost... ie resurection, eternal life. That should be the
> > focus: ascension & eternal life
>
> ********
>
> It's all about guilt. Don't forget, "Christ died for YOUR sins."
>
> Guilt is one of the all-time favorite control mechanisms ever
discovered.

> L B S

************

A poem by Robert Browning suggests why some people think of God in
terms of fear (because the brutish and fearful think God must be that
way too):

from Wikipedia --
Caliban upon Setebos is a poem written by the British poet Robert
Browning. It deals with Caliban, a character from Shakespeare's The
Tempest, and his reflections on Setebos, the brutal god he believes
in. Browning was of the belief that God is in the eye of the beholder
so to speak, and this is emphasized by a barbaric character believing
in a barbaric god.