>From James Braha:

Below is the Intro to my new book (5 pages), which
is close to being finished.

ULTIMATE FREEDOM: The One reality

Introduction

What you are about to read is the final chapter in my search for liberation.

What I mean by liberation is an end to the nagging feeling of separateness
from Source (or Essence) that was present since as long as I can remember.
And the death of the never ending sense of "becoming," as well as the
relentless concerns over past and future - death included. After engaging in
many spiritual paths for some thirty years, the end finally came through the
Hindu teachings of Advaita, also known as non duality.

The literal definition of Advaita (classically pronounced ad-veye-ta,
sometimes pronounced ad-vey-ta) is "not two," a preferable way of describing
oneness because oneness implies the possibility of more than one. The term
"oneness" refers to the underlying or essential oneness of all
manifestation. Scientifically this oneness can be seen within the fact that
all matter can be broken down into sub atomic particles, which is then seen
as nothing more than light or emptiness or space.  Everything in
manifestation is, thus, made up of one, and only one, essence.

Within our experience of life, which is tremendously varied and full of
differences, there is an integral facet that is almost entirely ignored. And
that is the "sameness" or oneness that is constantly present and makes all
experience possible. It is called Presence Awareness and is essentially the
present moment - right here right now. It is the "right here right now" that
has always been and will always be. It is the "right here right now" that
you experienced at age five and is with you even as you read this page. It
was present at birth, it is present at death. Presence Awareness. Right here
right now. Our one constant.

In early 2004, I had the great good fortune to pick up a book called "What's
Wrong With Right Now Unless You Think About it?" by an Australian teacher
named Sailor Bob Adamson. Bob's search ended in the mid 1970's when he
studied with the great Hindu sage Nisargadatta Maharaj. He has been teaching
non duality ever since. As fate would have it, Bob and his wife came to
America and stayed at our home for five weeks. During that time, he gave
many wonderful talks and teachings, most of which are transcribed in this
book.

For most seekers of enlightenment or liberation, the search is long and
arduous with many twists and turns along the way. Finding truth is all the
more challenging because there are so many varying viewpoints. People are
different genetically, culturally, emotionally, and so on. There are paths
for devotional types, intellectual types, mystical types, and so forth. What
most paths and religions have in common is that they allow the disciple to
seek without ever actually finding. This does not mean such paths are
fruitless. It simply means that there is always more to chase and more to
seek. There is always a bigger and better experience to be had. There is
always a promise of a better future (even though life can only be lived in
the present). And there is almost never a point where one stops to say "Aha.
The goal is reached. I have found. I am complete." There is, of course, the
rare case where that occurs, but it is sure to be the exception - not the
rule. The few who claim to have found are nearly always the leaders, never
the participants. This fact alone should give one pause.

In this regard, the teachings of non duality are incredibly unique. They are
unique because they leave room only for finding and none for seeking! In
Advaita, seeking is patently absurd because it implies a future time of
finding. If all that exists is oneness, how can there be a past or future?
Past and future are concepts in the mind, while the present moment - right
here right now - is all that truly is. If there is an opposite to Advaita,
it is the act of seeking!

Advaita is based on understanding reality and existence from the broadest
possible viewpoint. It is entirely unconcerned with practices, disciplines,
rituals, and experiences. Seekers looking for greater self development or
for promises of a better future will not find them here. Non duality rejects
preferences, and considers no experience, positive or negative, one iota
better or worse than another.

For seekers who are ripe, non duality brings ending upon ending, until only
freedom remains. Once it is recognized that the reference point we live
from, the "me," is based on nothing more than a collection of thoughts and
images, any sense of self importance and individuality ends. Once the
definition of reality is seen to be "that which never changes," the illusory
nature of our "apparent" creation is exposed. As soon as the essential
oneness of existence is understood, the pervasive sense of separation gained
in early childhood - when a so called "individual" identity was created -
disappears. Once it is realized that the present moment, right here right
now, is all that has ever been and all that will ever be, the senseless
behavior of worrying about the past and imagining the future utterly ceases.
When we see clearly that who we are is actually no thing - "non conceptual,
ever present, shelf shining, just this and nothing else" - any trying to
change, fix, modify, or correct ourselves becomes pointless. One's sense of
"becoming" immediately drops away. When it is understood that everything in
creation is in essence actually one (everything in creation is comprised of
the same underlying consciousness), it becomes obvious that all reference
points are false. When it is seen that all reference points are false,
judging any experience or any person as good or bad, or right or wrong
becomes ludicrous. Everything that occurs is seen simply as "what is." Once
all experience is seen as "what is," the perpetual habit of craving pleasure
and resisting pain is over. Thus, for the ripe seeker, Advaita is the end
game of a search that previously appeared to have no resolution. Repeat: for
the ripe seeker, non duality is the end game of a search that previously
appeared to have no resolution.

What is meant by a "ripe" seeker? One who is willing to die to his or her
"apparent" individuality. While many seekers have heard the notion of being
willing to die, and are actually ready to do so, most have no idea how. This
is not for any lack of intelligence. It is because there is actually nothing
one can do to die to the "small self!" What is needed is an understanding of
reality from the most all inclusive viewpoint. Then, one's apparent
individuality becomes enveloped by universality the same way a seemingly
isolated wave merges back into ocean.

While "understanding" may seem a far cry from liberation, it is not. It is
positively essential. The key to ultimate freedom lies in one's perception
of reality. Liberation, or awakening, is not a function of any particular
experience or mode of behavior. It is a function of understanding reality.
This is why there is no standard behavior among so called enlightened souls.
This is why each person must awaken on his or her own. There have been many
yogis and mystics with spiritual powers over the centuries, who have granted
miraculous spiritual experiences to others (which are sometimes powerful
catalysts to understanding), but none has ever been able to grant the
understanding which gives rise to eternal freedom. Liberation occurs only by
perception or understanding, which is not something one can transfer to
another. A person seeing a rope in the dark may first perceive the rope to
be a dangerous snake and react with panic. Upon closer investigation, when
the person sees the rope for what it is, all fear disappears. So it is that
when a person understands his or her true (unbounded) nature, liberation
from "apparent" bondage is the inevitable result.

After some thirty years of engaging in an eclectic variety of different
evolutionary paths, it has become clear to me that most seekers are actually
content to remain on the path their entire lives. Some love the seeking
process, some are enamored of blissful meditations, while others are
unfortunately unprepared - or just not ready - to find. Seekers reading this
book who have never rigorously investigated their willingness to become
finders are about to be tested. Those who claim to agree with non dual
teachings while continuing their search demonstrate that they have not
actually understood Advaita.

No one can say why one disciple is ready to end his or her search, while
another is not. Advaita, which considers manifest existence an illusion (or
appearance) comprised of the same oneness or consciousness from which it
sprang, offers no reasons or causes for anything within the appearance. It
is worth noting, however, that so many (but not all) of the rare individuals
who claim to have found awakening or liberation have said the same thing.
There was a point, they declare, where they became extraordinarily intent on
finding truth - on finding freedom. Many, just like Sailor Bob Adamson -
whose life you are about to become familiar with - have even said they left
home vowing not to return until their "apparent" bondage had been lifted.

I mention this not as a hint or a method of how to pursue self realization.
I mention it because many seekers who approach Advaita find the teachings
mental and cerebral, and wonder what use mere intellectual understanding can
possibly be. For those who do not resonate with the teachings of non
duality, such a reaction is not false or wrong. In these cases, nothing is
gained and there are no benefits. For the seeker who is serious about
becoming a finder, however, for one who can no longer bear the perpetual
sense of separation that began as far back as one can remember,
understanding what one is (eternal and unbounded) and what one is not
(material, physical, transient, and limited) makes all the difference. Once
this occurs, life is never the same.

Remarkably, understanding is all that is needed. Remarkably, what is not
needed is lots of doing - as in meditating, chanting, breathing, purifying
the nervous system, engaging in therapy, studying sacred texts, and on and
on. Self realization is all in the being and none in the doing. There is a
relevant saying applicable to spiritual aspirants who have practiced
powerful techniques and methods, and enjoyed blissful and ecstatic peak
experiences from time to time: "You can never get enough of what will not
make you happy." In a philosophy whose core and essence is oneness, what can
be gained by doing? Of what value are bigger and better experiences?

This is, of course, not to say that the doings mentioned above are not
wonderful and valuable. It is to say, however, that the finding of one's
true nature occurs in a "moment of understanding." It occurs in a moment of
understanding that exists strictly in the present - right here right now.
And while that understanding may appear to result from some action, it does
not. In a world of appearance, there are no actual causes - only apparent
ones. There are no causes because the world of illusion, our world, has no
independent nature. Everything within manifest creation has a beginning and
an end. Everything that appears eventually disappears. There are only
apparent causes, no actual ones.

If it is not yet clear, non duality is a viewpoint beyond personal ego. It
is a viewpoint that is counterintuitive and cares nothing of appearance.
Nearly half the world accepts the concept of maya - the concept that the
world is an illusion. But almost no one lives as if they believe the fact!
This is because people live life from their own point of view - their own
ego or reference point. True understanding of non duality takes place only
when one realizes, actually sees clearly, that his or her reference point is
both limited and false. If this has not happened, understanding has not
occurred.

The purpose of this book is to expose the personal reference point - the
"me" - for what it is, a mind created phantom. My hope is to do for readers
what Nisargadatta Maharaj, the great Indian sage, did for my teacher Sailor
Bob Adamson, and what Sailor Bob did for us. And that is "to take the seeker
beyond the need for help." If, after reading this text, you are able to see
clearly that the "me" you have lived with your entire life is a false
creation of the mind, you will never need help again. You will know your
true nature and the real meaning of understanding.

"What I teach is the ancient and simple way of liberation through
understanding. Understand your own mind and its hold on you will snap. The
mind misunderstands - misunderstanding its own nature! Right understanding
is the only remedy, whatever name you give it."

Nisargadatta Maharaj