> On Apr 19, 2005, at 11:21 PM, Rick Archer wrote:
>
> > OK, so this is some guy's commentary on Patanjali.
>
> No, it is much more than that--it's the path to CC and UC. Patanjali is
> part of it.

Is this a reasonable translations of the Panchadasi ?

The Panchadasi
Sri Vidyaranya Swami
Translated by Swami Swahananda
Published by Sri Ramakrishna Math, Chennai

Back Home.

I. THE DIFFERENTIATION OF THE REAL PRINCIPLE

   1. Salutation to the lotus feet of my Guru Sri Sankarananda whose
only work is to destroy the monster of primal nescience together with
its effect, the phenomenal universe.
   2. This discussion about the discrimination of Truth (Brahman)
(from untruth) is being initiated for the easy understanding of those
whose hearts have been purified by service to the pair of lotus feet
of the Teacher.
   3. The objects of knowledge, viz., sound, touch, etc., which are
perceived in the waking state, are different from each other because
of their peculiarities; but the consciousness of these, which is
different from them, does not differ because of its homogeneity.
   4. Similar is the case in the dream state. Here the perceived
objects are transient and in the waking state they seem permanent. So
there is difference between them. But the (perceiving) consciousness
in both the states does not differ. It is homogeneous.
   5. A person awaking from deep sleep consciously remembers his lack
of perception during that state. Remembrance consists of objects
experienced earlier. It is therefore clear that even in deep sleep
`want of knowledge' is perceived.
   6. This consciousness (in the deep sleep state) is indeed distinct
from the object (here, ignorance), but not from itself, as is the
consciousness in the state of dream. Thus in all the three states the
consciousness (being homogeneous) is the same. It is so in other days too.
   7. Through the many months, years, ages and world cycles, past and
future, consciousness is the same; it neither rises nor sets (unlike
the sun); it is self-revealing.
   8. This consciousness, which is our Self, is of the nature of
supreme bliss, for it is the object of greatest love, and love for the
Self is seen in every man, who wishes, `May I never cease to be', `May
I exist forever'.
   9. Others are loved for the sake of the Self, but the Self is loved
for none other. Therefore the love for the Self is the highest. Hence
the Self is of the nature of the highest bliss.
   10. In this way, it is established by reasoning that the individual
Self is of the nature of existence, consciousness and bliss. Similar
is the supreme Brahman. The identity of the two is taught in the
Upanishads.
   11. If the supreme bliss of the Self is not known, there cannot be
the highest love for it. (But it is there). If it is known, there
cannot be attraction for worldly objects. (That too is there). So we
say, this blissful nature of the Self, though revealed, is not
(strictly speaking) revealed.
   12. A father may distinguish the voice of his son chanting (the
Vedas) in chorus with a number of pupils but may fail to note its
peculiarities, due to an obstruction viz., its having been mingled
with other voices. Similar is the case with bliss. Because of
observation, it is proper to say that the bliss `is known yet unknown'.
   13. Our experience of the articles of everyday use is that they
`exist', they `reveal'. Now an obstruction is that which stultifies
this experience of existence and revelation and produces the
counter-experience that they are not existing, they are not

much more -- see link

http://www.geocities.com/advaitavedant/panchadasi.htm