> One interesting note here. The Veda Vision crew: Eric Sandell, Flash
> Pflaumer, and others spent over $1 million in their Livingston Manor
> workshop trying to develop the first VCR. They did have a working
model, but it was so sensitive that the shaking of the ground from a
truck driving up  the driveway would disrupt it's functioning.
Needless to say, someone  developed a better one, which the Movement
ended up using. At one point, the TMO was 2nd only to the US Military
as a purchaser of videotape. But it was
> an old, reel-to-real Beta format, not the cassettes we now use.

A few supplemental points and possible corrections:

- The first cassette, home use, VCR was introduced in 1972 by Phillips.
- TMO had video cassette players (could not record) in the field
teaching SCI in early 1973. I bought and used one.
- Livingston Manor was aquired ? As I remember it was definately not
72, maybe latter half of 73 or 74 -- or later. Who remembers?
- One incarnation of VedaVision was working in the fall of 72 on a
laser disk technology -- the precursor to the DVD -- pre Livingston
Manor.  They had a working prototype, I saw it. While mind blowing
back then, it was a very weak wobbly picture. Definately not DVD like
picture quality.
- MMY interacted with the VV enginners quite a bit in fall of 72. Much
more than a cursory look as Bob implies.
- As I remember, the engineers credited MMY with some quite useful
insights on the technology. (Though there was a lot  of euphoria in
those days, so some might have been wishful thinking.)
- RCA labs created their first laser disc in Sept 1972.
http://www.cedmagic.com/history/first-successful-ced.html
- Veda Vison pursued the laser disc technology for a while, until it
became clear that major players were quite abit aheaqd of them.

The vision was that VV laser disc would be a huge market hit and its
profits would fund the World Plan -- just annnounced earlier that
year. (3600 centers world wide, one for each million population).

And just think how things might have turned out if they were 6 months
ahead of themselves -- and gained major patents in laser appliance
technology. In the next several decades, consumer and office
electronics were revolutionized by the laser: laser printers, CD's,
DVDs, etc.