--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lupidus108" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > Didn't we go through this before? I remember someone posting that the
> > nobel committee does not release any information on candidates for the
> > prizes, and that "nomination" is a bogus term in this context in that
> > anyone could write a letter to the committee nominating anyone for a
> > Nobel Prize. Thus to say someone is nominated is meaningless, and at
> > its worst, a scam.
>
>  Thats not entierly true I'm afraid. There are strict rules as to who
> can nominate someone for the Nobel Commitee; one is that he must be a
> member of Parliament somewhere.

===============

Actually, its not limited to members of parliment. And ther are lots
of nominations: "In recent years, the Committee has received well over
140 different nominations for the Peace Prize. (The numbers of
nominating letters are much higher, since many are for the same
candidates.)" Not  such an exclusive club.

And nominations are not public:  "observing the rules given in the
statutes of the Nobel Foundation, the Committee does not publish the
names of candidates." "The nominators are strongly requested not to
publish their proposals. "

And since a chancellor of an university, or professors of specific
disciplines, can nominate, I would be surprised if Bevan and MUM profs
did not niminate MMY every year.

==============

The prize awarding ceremony on December 10 is the final result of a
long selection process. The rules permit a division of the prize among
no more than three laureates. The Norwegian Nobel Committee bases its
assessment on nominations that must be postmarked no later than 1
February each year. Later nominations are included in the following
year's discussions. In recent years, the Committee has received well
over 140 different nominations for the Peace Prize. (The numbers of
nominating letters are much higher, since many are for the same
candidates.)

Nominators

New nomination rules, effective from 2003. Compared to the old rules
the list of nominators has been slightly expanded.

Any one of the following persons is entitled to submit proposals:

    * members of national assemblies and governments;
    * members of international courts of law;
    * university chancellors; university professors of social science,
history, philosophy, law and theology;
    * leaders of peace research institutes and institutes of foreign
affairs;
    * former Nobel Peace Prize laureates;
    * board members of organisations that have received the Nobel
Peace Prize;
    * present and past members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee;
(committee members must present their nomination at the latest at the
first committee meeting after February 1);
    * former advisers at the Norwegian Nobel Institute.

Observing the rules given in the statutes of the Nobel Foundation, the
Committee does not publish the names of candidates.

The Nobel Peace Prize may also be accorded to institutions or
associations.

The nominators are strongly requested not to publish their proposals.
Proposals should be sent to:

     The Norwegian Nobel Committee
     Drammensveien 19
     NO-0255 OSLO