In a message dated 5/1/05 6:40:11 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I attended grad school with some otherwise friendly Chinese students
who flamed out when I criticized Mao (not all the Chinese students
thought well of Mao, I should note), as if that homicidal fool who
ruined China for years, had been a plus for the country. As another
indication of how stupid people are (as if we needed more proof),
Stalin's image is being rehabbed in Russia. In today's L.A. Times,
there is an article "Stalin has foot back on the pedestal", which
cites polls:

http://www.latimes.com/

A recent poll by the All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center found
that half of the respondents looked favorably on Stalin, with 20%
describing his role in the life of the country as "very positive" and
30% calling it "somewhat positive." Only 12% described it as "very
negative."

The All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center's poll found the most
favorable views of Stalin among those over 60, with 67% of them
saying his historical role was positive. The weakest support was in
the 25-34 age group, with 38% viewing him favorably and 47%
critically. In the 18-24 age bracket, 45% had positive views compared
with 39% who viewed him negatively and 16% who had no opinion.

Hey when good Communist wright the history books and the propaganda ministers cover your butt you can get away with murder, millions of times and still come out smelling like roses. And the younger Japanese still know little about the Atrocities of their fathers in WW2.