Subtle stuff -- subtler than I can claim! Comments and questions below.

Vaj wrote:

> There was a recognition that samsara was being created and
> observed, thus this deep sense of suffering at the instant of
> recognition. Later there was the simultaneous arising of loathing for
> all of samsara. At that instant (of recognition of loathing of samsara)
> then and there I lost any desire to perform the siddhis ever again.

If you would, Vaj, talk more about this loathing of
samsara. For example, did it help free you of
samsara's charm, thus contribute to liberation?

I'm tempted to conclude that the sidhis helped in this
process, but you're saying the sidhis mask that loathing
with some charming feeling, right? If I understand
you, you inquired "beneath" the charm, as it were,
to the source, and found it foul, and that inquiry
was never part of the sidhis instruction.

>   Vasana comes from the root "vas" which means to dwell, reside, stay,
> and exist, be found in; and  to scent, perfume, incense, fumigate, make
> fragrant, to steep, infuse, and to spice, season.

The passage above reminded me of the tendency to
refer to the "rasas" or flavors of the sutras.

> This describes the
> precise quality of the vasanas--an infused feeling-tone which permeates
> ones beings and you grab at it--you love the smell, the feel and the
> feeling and totally miss what lies beneath.

But the experience reported by others on this list recently
is of having that which lies beneath -- the silence --
pulled into activity. Far from missing what lies beneath,
for us the sidhis reveal it. So I'm getting a disconnect.

 - Patrick Gillam