What if the whole history of the TM movement were an
outgrowth of a young bhakti's attachment to the object
of his love, and desire to have that love "requited"
in the form of appreciation of the work that he did
on his behalf?

I don't think many of us here know much about Guru Dev
and his personality.  People make assumptions about his
enlightenment, but hey!...even the enlightened have
personalities.  What if his was a bit on the gruff side,
as some of the photos hint at, and he was less than
emotionally open to those around him?  Or, what if,
having been brought up in a tradition in which one does
not often praise those around them openly because that
might lead to the development of ego in odd ways, he
never praised those who worked with him and for him?

And what if one of those who worked for him were a young
bhakti who was just head over heels in love with Guru Dev
(and please get your minds out of the gutter...I am NOT,
even for a moment, suggesting any kind of 'unnatural' love
here, merely head-over-heels bhakti) and who worked his
butt off for him every day, doing menial jobs and what-
ever needed to be done around the ashram?

What if the process of doing that -- performing selfless
service -- got the young bhakti high as a kite and even
opened for him a few glimpses into higher states of con-
sciousness?  And what if that were cool, but what the
young bhakti *really* wanted, more than anything else in
life, was for Guru Dev to turn to him one day and say,
"Mahesh, you're the best?"

And what if that never happened?  What if the object of
this love just up and died one day, without ever having
said it?  What if the young bhakti were so distraught
that he threw himself into the Ganges, trying to follow
his beloved teacher to the grave?

Time passes.  The young bhakti is still fixated on Guru
Dev, still heavily attached to him, and still wanting to
serve him, because service is really the only thing that
really got him high.  Besides, in his heart he's still
hoping to hear Guru Dev say someday, "Mahesh, you're
the best."

Think about Maharishi's fascination with the story of
Trotaka, and about the importance he has given that story
in his teachings.  What was the outcome of that story?
Someone saying, "Trotaka, you're the best."

So the young bhakti puts together some meditation tech-
niques and begins to teach them.  He goes to the West,
finds it receptive to these techniques, and an organiza-
tion forms.

And as it forms, he subtly (and probably unconsciously)
shapes it to resemble the situation he grew up in.
There is One teacher, One source of knowledge, One chain
of command, and this time he's the One.  And almost from
Day One, a strong part of the dogma he teaches is that
this set of teachings is "the best."

As more and more people join the organization, the dogma
extends to measures to try to ensure that no one within
it has much opportunity to learn otherwise.  Prohibitions
about reading books from other spiritual traditions arise;
after time they are actually enforced with shunning within
the organization or, if the need arises, removal from the
organization.  And a subdogma arises about how the faithful
should *think* of those who have been removed from the
organization, or worse, have chosen to leave it on their
own.  They are to be pitied for having lost the Way, and
they are to be shunned if encountered, and they are to be
badrapped to others if their name comes up in conversation.

The image of "the best" is preserved.  And the young man
whose spiritual teacher would never tell him that he was
"the best" becomes the person whom most of the people in
the organization consider "the best."  And then, karma being
the real pain in the ass that it is, the young man gradually
becomes an old man, and along the Way has to deal with what
being considered "the best" can DO to an ego.

These are just random thoughts on a holiday afternoon here
in Paris, sitting at a sidewalk café sipping a fine Saint
Émillion Grand Cru and thinking about Maharishi.  You're
getting them as they flow by, unpolished, un-thought-
through. They're Just Another Café 'What If' Story.

But I like the story because it makes me smile, and think
even more positively about Maharishi than ever.

What if all of this were true?  What if, to some extent, the
whole history of the TM movement were really based on a young
man's attachment to his spiritual teacher, and his desire to
hear four simple words: "Mahesh, you're the best?"  What if
that really *were* what it was all about?

Well in my book that would be just fine.  Look at what
the man did.  He managed to turn millions of fellow human
beings on to the joys of meditation and the pathway to
enlightenment.  In one way or another, he will continue to
do so even after his own death.  That's a nice thing to have
done with one's life, *whatever* the reasons for doing it
might have been.

The karmic value of any actions are in the results of the
actions, not in the intent of those actions.  The value of
performing the service is in the service, not in the motiva-
tions for the service.  And as far as I'm concerned, Maharishi,
the results of your actions and your service may well "weigh
out" on the positive side on the olde karmic scale.  Go easy
to your rest.

And, just in case my café ramblings have any resemblance
to reality, and Guru Dev never said it to you, I shall raise
my glass to you and say it myself:  "Mahesh, you're the best."

Uncle Tantra, 5 mai 2005, Paris