--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Comment below:
>
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > on 5/25/05 11:34 AM, shempmcgurk at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > What struck me was how MMY got caught up in something so
> > > insignificant and mundane as a group photo and the way it was
> > > supposed to be framed and the hours spent on it.  I just
couldn't
> > > understand it.  If, as the Movement and MMY professed, that we
> were
> > > out to bring this important technology of TM to the world, how
> could
> > > the leader and head of such an organisation find the time to
put
> his
> > > attention on such minutae?
> >
> > There are hundreds of stories like this. It happened every day
with
> > something or other. I found it fascinating to watch him do this,
> but it used
> > to puzzle me that he could invest the time in this sort of thing
> with the
> > movement as large and busy as it was. But it was charming. As
you
> say, like
> > a kid playing with a new toy. Or not charming, like Nero
fiddling
> as Rome
> > burned. Maharishi himself would say that he always needed a new
> toy to play
> > with.
>
> ***
>
> I've heard (or read, actually) of other saints who would get
> immersed in the trivial with as much focus, energy, and enthusiasm
> as the (apparently) more important issues of life.
>
> If, from the standpoint of Brahman, everything is as important as
> everything else (because all appearances only have value relative
> other appearances and there is no independent substance or reality
> to any of them) and, if Maharishi is established in Brahman (which
> despite the many allegations of behavior that strikes me as
puzzling
> or dissappointing on the level of the relative, is not in any way
> dispositive that he is not [established in Brahman]), then this
type
> of focussed awareness on whatever is the subject at hand would
seem
> to be a perfectly natural phenomenon.
>
> Awareness may stand alone but brought into contact with the
relative
> it becomes attention.  If one is living Brahman as one's Awareness
> then That is what is brought as Attention to the matter at hand,
> whatever that may be.
>
> For many of us who are very engaged in the world it seems that in
> Maharishi's "management" style there was never any real priority
> setting.  Almost any project became "the" priority project for a
> time -- generally the time that Maharishi's attention was on it.
As
> soon as he turned his attention elsewhere the former priority
faded
> entirely.
>
> Most of us in the West seem very (or relatively) competent at
> juggling multiple tasks and assigning constantly shifting
priorities
> with appropriate time allocations.  Maharishi doesn't.  But
perhaps
> it's likely that he was able to accomplish what he has because
when
> he did put his attention on the task at hand he brought Brahman to
> bear on it.
>
> Marek

Marek,

That's all very nice as both an esoteric explanation and
justification as to why MMY has done things.

Regardless, I must observe and assess those things from my own,
admittedly, limited western-based consciousness of values.  And
those values include science, rationality, and common sense.

But guess what?  I started TM -- and got involved in the TMO --
under the auspices of science, rationality, and common sense.  There
was NO PLACE for gurus, blind devotion, and cults in either TM or
the TMO when I joined up.

So I very well may be thinking and operating from an inferior and
limited state of consciousness and values but that is the level at
which TM was supposed to work...so that is the level at which I will
assess MMY and his activities.