Doing the Puja individually is the best, that is my experience too.
Twice in 25 years I have done the Puja by my self - and then gone to
Hospitals giving the Mantra, one to a dying person and one for my
Boss having stroke. As soon as my Boss was out of the Hospital, I
initiated him properly with the Puja and everything. He was
meditating to his dying day after that.
Ingegerd