Judy,

I finally got through your suggested exchange on the skeptic board.
That very interesting and brought out many important points about
testing, objectivity and bias.

This is a great topic for self-discovery. Most people are skewed by
financial gain, but not always.  I spent a fair amount of my mortgage
banking career counseling people NOT to buy a home at that particular
time, which went against my own financial interest.  But in many cases
as a mortgage professional, I was the only person in the transaction
willing to be objective about it.  The home buyers were on
home-ownership drugs, and the Realtors wanted their commissions.  But
my years of seeing people getting financially demolished by buying a
home too soon put me in the best position to help home buyers
understand what the reality would be after I got them a loan.  This
ethical code helped me sleep at night but the loan meltdown we see
today is evidence that my style was in the extreme minority in the
industry.

In my life I am trying to find my own balance of enjoying the benifits
of age and having been around the block a bit.  I don't have the same
"anything is possible" stars in my eyes of my youth, but I have also
lived long enough to have experienced amazing and unexpected things in
life.  It is a tricky balance to set one's own BS meter isn't it?

Regarding the crop circles: I found that my ability to assess the
claims of unusual findings at some sites is severely limited.
Although I am skeptical of claims that people know what any of this
means (i.e. UFOs), I understand my limits in evaluating their
reporting truthfulness, or accuracy, and what any of it may mean.  I
am willing to move the whole topic of unusual findings at circle sites
into the "I don't have a clue" bin rather than some attempt to judge
it with zero tools or training, or even an ability to assess the
sincerity of the reporters.  But someone's financial interest in
something doesn't exclude their information right away outside of
serious scientific studies. For this kind of topic those people may be
the only ones really paying full attention to the question.

It is an interesting question blending what we know about using the
scientific method combined with the half-assed application we end up
with in our personal lives when evaluating claims.  I appreciate the
thought you have given the topic and your directing me to the
discussion.  It was helpful, and for a philosophy hack like myself, a
lot of fun to read.