--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bronte Baxter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   I replied to this once. Somehow it never posted, so here goes
again:

>   From Judy, quoting Bronte:
>   To claim that the ego is only a Me is to perceive only its
limited > expression. Such limited expression certainly needs
dissolving for > cosmic bliss to occur. But the Me only needs to
dissolve into the > I. It was never intended by the Infinite that the
I should dissolve > into non-existence.

>   Judy wrote:
> I really think this all boils down to a matter of semantics. I've
never understood that in enlightenment the "I" dissolves into
nonexistence; rather, what dissolves into nonsexistence (because it
was an illusion to start with) is *identification*
> with the "I." The "I" is still there, doing its thing, not in any
way inhibited by the lack of identification with it.

>   Bronte writes:
>   It's not just semantics. It's a fundamentally opposite way of
viewing life and the universe. People of my mindset don't just claim
that the ego never dissolves in true enlightenment. We also advocate
that IDENTIFICATION WITH the ego -- in the subjective sense of "I,
the doer" (not in the object sense of "Me, the happened to") SHOULD
never dissolve. We argue that having such dissolution as one's goal
or allowing it to happen is the hugest mistake a human being can
make.

>   You say that the ego doesn't dissolve in enlightenment -- that
identification with the ego is what dissolves. I don't think
identification with the small self has to ever dissolve or should.
What the goal should be is to identifify with both one's cosmic
unlimited universal nature while AT THE SAME TIME identifying with
oneself as an individual consciousness. Both identities must be
simultaneous for true realization to occur.

>   When a person stops identifying with their individual "I," they
lose their authorship, their empowerment, their freedom as original,
creative expressions of God. The difference between your description
of enlightenment and mine is huge: it's the difference between
someone floating in the water and someone swimming.

Well, that's certainly a loaded analogy!

>   We're not here to float in the water, to let life happen to us.
To observe and witness ourselves and life, to be "done to." We're
here to co-create with God, realizing our oneness with That, our
infinite power and joy as God's dynamic expressions.

I don't think we're ever going to see eye-to-eye
on this; but again, my understanding is that if
you identify with the Self rather than the self,
you are identifying with the ultimate creative
principle. Your self is then experienced to be
*the creation of* that principle, of the Self. So
in no way do you opt out of the job of creating.

> Co-creating is impossible when people accept a belief that to
identify with their individuality (thoughts, desires, etc.) is
unspiritual, egotistical, and contrary to liberation.

Sure, if it's only a belief and not one's direct
experience.

<snip>
>   I agree that false identification is at the root of suffering in
life. But what false identification consists of is not what Indianism
tells us it is.

FWIW, it's not just "Indianism" that tells us this.
Even St. Paul said Christians are to be "in the world
but not of it."

> False identification, and the cause of suffering, is identification
of ourselves with the body, not identifcation of ourselves as
individuals.

But the identification that is said to dissolve in
enlightenment isn't just with the body, it's with
everything individual about the person--mind,
personality, emotions, intellect, etc.

Ultimately there's said to be a reintegration, in
which all the individualities in the universe are
seen to be one with the transcendent; that Unity
is one's personal Self.

You're very eloquent in your defense of your
position, but I still strongly suspect that we're
dealing with subtle semantics here, as well as,
perhaps, different stages of realization.

In any case, it's never been my understanding
that one becomes a kind of robot in enlightenment
(at least not in any sense that one wasn't a robot
to begin with). One realizes one's status as the
Robot Master, as it were, the generator of the
very forces of creation.