--- yagyax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Obviously, the
> false "I" does vanish but this is only one component
> of what makes up
> a person, which distinguishes one person from
> another: MMY is not
> SSRS, etc.

What distinguishes MMY from SSRS are space/time
qualities. Of course these are different from one
another. They have distinct personalities shaped by
genes and environmental factors. But what they "are,"
what is there instead of a separate sense of "me" is
exactly the same as one another-just consciousness.

> That's what makes up an individual, in
> the broadest sense
> or definition.

No. What makes up an individual is not the space time
"parts" of a personality, but the subjective sense of
"I" that is identified with those parts. In
Realization, all the parts are still there, but that
identity is completely gone. Everything is still there
as before, but now there is no subjective "I" that can
be located. What has occured is the cessation of
consciousness identifying with mind.

>  In this broad context, rocks can be "individuals"
> since each of them
> differs from the others.  Thus, semantics enters
> into the picture,
> true.

Rocks have no self-referential consciousness so they
are not individuals.

Tonight's top picks. What will you watch tonight? Preview the hottest shows on
Yahoo! TV.
http://tv.yahoo.com/