On Oct 1, 2007, at 8:31 PM, lurkernomore20002000 wrote:

Okay Sal, obviously your POV is going to win the day.  I was just
going by the consensus that was arrived at a few weeks ago.  No
problem if no one but me is concerned about it. I thought the dialog
has been pretty good lately, but I'm not going to argue with the
market. If we lose some folks, well that's the way it is.  God
forbid we enforce the guidelines which have been on the books from
day one. "Wouldn't be prudent. Not at this juncture"

What guidelines specifically, Lurk? Here's what it says on the group's home page:

Description
Fairfield Life focuses on topics of interest to seekers (and finders) of truth and liberation everywhere. Fairfield, Iowa is home to Maharishi University of Management, founded by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in 1971. There are about 2000 Transcendental Meditation practitioners here, as well as many others pursuing various spiritual paths.

"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the wish to find out, which is the exact opposite." ~ Bertrand Russell

We often discuss the trials and tribulations of the TM Movement, which may not interest some, but that's why God created the delete key. Discussions also draw from diverse teachers such as Ammachi, Eckhart Tolle, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Byron Katie, Dalai Lama, Jesus Christ, Buddha, Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta, Shankara, etc.

"The healthy mind challenges its own assumptions." ~ The I Ching

Pretty much any topic is fair game. We have discussed spirituality, politics, economics, morality and higher states of consciousness, drug laws, evolution vs. creationism, enlightenment, advaita, reincarnation, karma, Jyotish (Vedic astrology), yagya, Ayurveda, dzogchen, tantra, channeling, vegetarianism, kundalini, celibacy, sexuality, homosexuality, abortion, racism, UFOs, Buddhism, Hinduism, Veda, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Scientology, etc.

"Whatever you think, it's more than that" ~ Incredible String Band

You can lurk without joining, but you have to join to post. Members can access Files, Photos, Links, and Database.

"Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings -- that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide." ~ Dharma-pada, Buddha Shakyamuni

"Take what you need and leave the rest."

I don't see anything about content regulation there, do you? In fact, the last sentence says pretty much the opposite, IMO. And Rick does politely point out that people can always use the delete key if they're not interested in something.

No discussion group "loses people," Lurk. It's not as if the entire group is on a cosmic hayride, and people bounced off because the horses went around a corner too fast, leaving a few dazed souls lying in the road wondering where the others went. People leave on their own, for a variety of reasons, and they can always come back the same way. Nobody pushed anyone else out, as far as I can tell.

I'm glad you and a few others have liked the recent dialogue. To me it's felt like the spirit of Sharlyn's group, which recently disbanded, had nowhere else to go and so came on over to FFL to test the mood-making waters for a few weeks. I hope it's gotten its fill.
Sal