> When I was in Moscow in 1990 teaching TM with a lot of Indians,
> one of the Brahmacharya had an affair with a Russian woman. When
> the Co-ordidinator from TMO told MMY about it. MMY got furious -
> the Brahmacharya became kicked out of the TMO - tried to send
> back to India. He run away on the Airport - I do not know what
> happened after that.
> Ingegerd

I find the sexual hangups of spiritual groups
fascinating.  Sometimes they reflect the larger
hangups of the countries the group came from,
sometimes they don't.  India, the home of the
Kama Sutra, last time I checked was so prudish
that they can't show people *kissing* in films,
much less doing anything else.  Add to that the
influence of the English, and you've hardly got
a scenario conducive to healthy sexual attitudes. :-)
Is it any wonder that repression and acting out
of illicit fantasies are given more weight than
they deserve?

Tibet, on the other hand, has always had a more
down-to-earth, it's-really-no-big-deal attitude
about sex and sexuality, so I doubt that a monk
getting his rocks off would be considered that
big a deal.

As for "getting kicked out of the TMO," that's
another subject entirely.  At a certain point in
TMO history, the threat of excommunication became
very real indeed, and the fear of being declared
apostate was used to control how people thought
and acted.  I always thought that it was a sad,
unnecessary, and completely unspiritual approach
to spirituality.  Stifle doubt and the testing of
boundaries with the fear of excommunication and
IMO you have begun to create a path based on fear
instead of on light.

I had a friend who was a Paulist priest, and he
told me something once that stuck with me.  He
said that in his particular order of the Catholic
Church, no one was *ever* considered for a position
of authority unless they had had their own personal
"dark night of the soul" and had either almost left
the Church or gotten laid or something equally rebel-
lious.  The reasoning was that no one who hadn't
actually *dealt* with the everyday doubt and questions
that are part of the spiritual path could be trusted.
Those who had *not* dealt with such things and come
out the other side, with their faith strengthened from
the experience, were considered blissninnies, mere
parrots, and thus not worthy of being placed in a
position of leadership.

Fascinating how in the TMO it was always the other
way around.  Doubt is considered a sin, a sign that
one is "off the program" or "unstressing" or worse.
Persist in the doubt, or in OTP activities, and you
run the risk of being declared apostate.  But toe
the line, pretend never to have had a doubt in your
life and keep your own sexual pecadillos secret, and
you stand a good chance of running things.

It's also worth pointing out that Maharishi's anger
at someone for doing essentially the same things he
was doing is not all that uncommon among spiritual
teachers who have been fooling around.  One of the
first signs that a teacher has caught the egodisease
is when he or she starts reaming people for doing the
same things he or she does regularly.

Unc