<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "others extol the fun of one-night-stands"
>
> Who was doing this?

Exactly. I can't speak about others, but I have
written about such an event (and, to tell the
truth, experienced one) only once on this forum,
and that was long before Bronte ever arrived.

People project what they want to see onto what
they see. And what they want to see becomes a
kind of reality for them. And that's fine in
one sense, because that's the nature of percep-
tion itself, but IMO one shouldn't confuse what
one projects onto, say, a work of art with what
the artist intended.

My favorite example of this is Dylan. There are
any number of people who have developed compli-
cated, extensive theories of "the symbolism of
his songs." And yet from his side, Dylan insists
that he has never once in his life utilitzed
symbolism. He use *imagery*. He just paints odd,
abstract word art, and allows people to project
onto it whatever they want.

Remember the scene with Steve Martin looking at
the painting in the museum in L.A. Story? The
camera is pointed at him and the people with him
as he describes what he sees in the painting:
"I like the relationships. I mean, each character
has his own story. The puppy is a bit too much,
but you have to overlook things like that in
these kinds of paintings. The way he's *holding*
her...it's almost...filthy. I mean, he's about
to kiss her and she's pulling away. The way the
leg's sort of smashed up against her...Phew...
Look how he's painted the blouse sort of
translucent. You can just make out her breasts
underneath and it's sort of touching him about
here. It's really...pretty torrid, don't you
think? Then of course you have the onlookers
peeking at them from behind the doorway like
they're all shocked. They wish. Yeah, I must
admit, when I see a painting like this, I get
emotionally...erect."

The camera angle shifts and we see that he has
been describing a painting of a red rectangle.

'Nuff said...