Good one.

I have not listened to her in some time. Perhaps time to again.

> I ain't no damsel in distress
> and I don't need to be rescued

 seems to well sum up a prevailing mind-set of some.

On a tangental topic,

her line

> and I am a patriot
> I have been fighting the good fight

struck me. As quite an interesting take on "patriot".

I am sick of jingoists hyjacking the term. I grew up on "the Sons of
Liberty" theme, Johnny Trumain, and all. Beyond childhood heros, I
know patriotism is a much deeper than the shallow way it is used by
some today as a shiny (as in hollow) badge of honor.

I think back to the war resisters of many wars. As an example, to me,
they are generally far more patriotic than those haughtingly and
dismissively wearing an american flags on their lapels.

War resisters,  or anyone passionately furthering a cause -- fighting
for a cause they are committed to, to make the their country, but more
important, to make the world a better place. Perhaps a better, newer
word needs to be struck for patriots of the world and humandkind. But
deFranco gets at that:

> and I am a patriot
> I have been fighting the good fight

She is not talking about country, but about causes. America in 1775
was a cause. Today, in ways its a sad characture of itself. Like Denny
 Crane -- for Boston Legal fans (as endearing as Denny is in his
crusty way).

patri -- must be the same root at partiarch. Fight for he "FatherLand".

How about fight for the Humanland? Or the Natureland  -- not to
discriminate and ignore our animal brothers and sisters. A Natriot?
A Lifriot? A Oneriot? A Lovriot? Sounds like Love Riot. (not to be
confused with a Love Orgy I suppose.)