> > What triggered your asking that question?
>
> ME: It was after I had dropped out of TM.  I was doing an
> epistemological overhaul on myself, and a friend who had
> shared my journey out of TM told me that he had taped a
> show on TV called the American Atheist with Madalyn O'Hair.
> I had no interest in even considering atheism, but I got
> kinda trapped.  He said to me, "We want to examine all
> points of view right?  Here is the extreme from believing
> in God." I couldn't deny that I had to see it, but honestly
> I was only doing it to be true to my idea of open mindedness.
> I thought it was a waste of time since I was so comfortable
> with my belief. It was one of the most belief shattering
> experience of my life to listen to her presenting atheism
> as an option for the first time in my life. She was really
> funny and I literally laughed my self out of my own belief!

This last sentence is really great, Curtis. But
I'm really replying because of one later on...

> To enjoy her humor my POV shifted from assumption to the
> question, "why do I believe this".  Of course I read
> a lot later to really understand the details of the POV
> I wanted to adapt on the topic, but the first shift was
> pretty quick. It was humbling in the extreme. I felt it
> was just an extension of me being a "seeker of truth"
> when I was in TM.

*This* last sentence is the one I wanted to riff
on. That's the thing that so amazed me about the
way that the TBs within the TM movement regarded
those of us who walked away -- the *inability* to
see what we were doing from this point of view.

I mean, these are people who, like us, gave lectures
from time to time in which they talked about the
"natural tendency of the mind is to seek greater and
greater levels of satisfaction (or bliss or fulfil-
lment...whatever)." And yet, when one of their friends
chose a greater level of satisfaction or bliss that
wasn't On The Program, they felt sad for us. Or they
felt betrayed in some way by us. We were no longer
following our Way; we had *lost* our way. We had
strayed from the "highest path," and thus there was
something *wrong* with us.

And yet they gave these talks about "the natural
tendency of the mind is to seek greater and greater
levels of satisfaction and bliss and fulfillment."
Go figure.

As I've said earlier in these discussions, I never
had any kind of epiphany regarding my unbelief in
a sentient God. There was never any *transition*
from believing in God to not for me to experience,
or to provide the moments of strong *contrast* that
we as humans tend to experience subjectively as
epiphanies. I had never *had* any real belief in
God, so all that ever happened for me was becoming
more intellectually comfortable with what had always
already been.

But if there had been such an epiphany, and I had
talked about it openly with my TM friends, how do
you think they would have reacted? Would they have
been happy for me that I had achieved an epiphanal
moment and had a real breakthrough in my own self
discovery? Would they even notice the body language
of relief that they saw in my body, or the smile on
my face? I think that anyone here who has ever had
such an Off The Program realization and has tried
to express it within the confines of the TM movement
can answer this question. Right?

So where did our focus shift from "The natural
tendency of the mind is to seek greater and greater
levels of fulfillment" to "You shouldn't be think-
ing that...that is Off The Program Thinking...you
might be in danger of straying off of the highest
path, and if you do, I'm probably going to have
to shun you?"

What HAPPENED to turn us so damned JUDGMENTAL
and OLD, man?

What HAPPENED that we became more protective of the
Dogma Status Quo than we were appreciative of one
of our friends having an epiphanal moment, and set-
ting forth on a new adventure, following the *same*
bliss or satisfaction that inspired him to learn TM?

What Curtis seems to be describing here, if I read
what he's written (and between the lines) correctly,
is that the sense of elation he felt at letting go
of the strong conviction that there is a God and
becoming open to the possibility that maybe there
isn't one is the *same* elation he felt upon first
finding TM? It's a mind having *found* something
that is more satisfying, more blissful, and more
fulfilling.

That it has been just that for Curtis permeates
almost every word he writes here.

Curtis is having a pretty happy life, as far as I can
tell. And some of the folks who occasionally want him
to think it's *not* a happy life, and that he's really
Off The Program and lost -- well...let's face it...*their*
happiness does not exactly permeate *their* posts. Their
posts sound *constricted* to me, trying to *cling* to
something, *defensive* about things. Curtis rarely does.

So if I were a betting man, I'd be more likely to bet
that Curtis was ONTO SOMETHING when he followed his
bliss and bailed from the TM movement and from God
than I would be to bet that he had somehow strayed
away from the "highest path."