Using a sliding scale probabilistic belief system (instead of a
dichotomous "I believe" vs "I don't believe" facilitates regular if
not constant updating and comparison of strength of belief. Lots of
little incremental, easy updates -- not some HUGE a BIG decision like
atheist or believer.

If one is making BIG belief decisions, its a lot of work. Many may cut
 to the chase -- and say "ah, f it -- this is how I feel, I'll go with
that instead of hard evaluation". That is an example, IMO, where
belief appeal and choice of evaluation method can precede and trump
rational systematic analysis -- leading to rationalizations.

If however, the evaluation process is simple,  day by day,
incremental, e.g.,  "ah,thats some new info -- makes my
(probabilistic) belief a bit stronger" -- then this reduces the
liklihood of the cheaper process-- appeal, circumventing systematic
evaluation and rationalizations process.

The two factors that should drive choice of evaluation depth are
(IMO): i) the importance of the belief / decision, and ii) the
time/resources available to investigate it.  Not a priori appeal. '

If something is not very important to you, a shorter, less deep
evaluation protocol is appropriate. Same if you have little time to
spend on it.

Big important issues (to you) -- and for which you have the time,
attention and sometimes money to investigate more deeply, deserve
deeper,more systematic investigations.