Well, the man did say that folks can no longer read English. And my
spellchecker works just fine.  If I "misspell" a word, then chances are I've
got my reasons.

But none of that is to the point.  The discussion is about whether or not the
man is right in saying that American kids are dummer than dirt. Has there been,
in fact, a dumming down of Americans?  I say there has, I'm not by a long shot
the only professional in the field who says there has, and the dumming down is
visible everywhere to anyone not completely embedded in this culture.

I also know that folks get their dander up when you say that not everything is
perfect in the good old U.S. of A. But, things can't get better until someone
acknowledges that there is room for improvement.  And, by the way, I don't
agree that the stance that all is right with the world is particularly
enlightened or  the stance that if a thing is the way it is, then it must be
God's will that it be so.  Humanity is a work in progress. I agree that my
thoughts are God's thoughts, and so are yours, but neither yours nor mine are
therefore co-extensive with God's.

 Newspapers in the U.S. are written to what passes for eighth grade reading
levels in this country. And even that standard is slipping. My experience in
teaching at various colleges and universities around the U.S. is that the
preparation of college freshmen has been getting worse and worse.  Big
businesses are hiring consultants at a thou a day to educate their management
trainees in using their native language well enough to do international
business with the rest of the world who does business in English as well, but
learns it as a second language. Or third, etc. The U.S has slipped to about
number 23 among industrialized nations in educational standards.  The U.S. is
also no longer the world leader in the sciences.

The slipping of educational standards should be of concern to anyone who cares
about the future of our children. And it's about more than a specific kind of
education, as some have suggested.  IQ is about 40% language related. The way
you teach reading and writing to children can foster the growth of IQ or
suppress it, and the educational establishment in this country is doing all it
can to suppress the growth of IQ.  Now this doesn't mean that they are 100%
successful.  But the intelligent question to ask about this state of affairs is
Qui Bono.  Who benefits?  As long as folks get personally insulted when folks
point out that public education in the U.S. is in a pitiful state, then those
who benefit from that state of affairs have won.

And here's an eighth grade English version of what I said about my grandfather.
 He was educated by a river clear as glass.  Not by a school. a

feste37 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                               I don't know
what Jesus has got to do with it, and I can't make much
 sense of this post. I have no idea what the following sentence is
 supposed to mean: "Where did I say that a clear river, for example,
 the river clear as glass that educated my grandfather wasn't the best
 schooling a man can have?"

 And by the way, it's "dumber," not "dummer."

 --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > Jesus Christ.  They guy either told the truth: American kids are
 dummer than dirt, or he didn't.  If it's true, then we have better
 things to do than to engage in pissing contests on a personal level.
 Then there are serious questions to ask about that. Plus, once again,
 you're not reading what I actually said.  Where did I say that a clear
 river, for example, the river clear as glass that educated my
 grandfather wasn't the best schooling a man can have?  You are
 imputing motives to my statements that I do not have. If what the guy
 said is true, and I believe that it is true from my perspective as a
 professional in the field of education, then, as I suggested earlier,
 we are all embedded in it including the folks in Ff.  The forest is
 green, remember, because every leaf of every tree is green.  Why are
 you taking that personally? a

 > feste37 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                               Every
 generation that has ever lived has complained about the younger

 http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2007/10/24/notes102407.DTL