--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Oh, and you weren't "using the term as a
> > synecdoche," either. Might want to look that
> > up too.
>
> I looked it up, but I don't know if it was correct, 'cuz being too
> lazy to read Angies whole post. Would Metonymy be a more
> appropriate term?

"Carpet bombing" is a figure of speech,
but it doesn't really fit the definitions
of either synecdoche or metonymy. Wikipedia
has a pretty good article on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synecdoche

But the main problem is that it's an
*inappropriate* figure of speech for the act
of bombing oil wells. Carpet or saturation
bombing is used to destroy military
installations, supplies, and personnel, and
to demoralize the population of an area.

For oil wells, you have to do *targeted*
bombing. But the U.S. wouldn't be bombing
Iran's oil wells in the first place; we'd
want to capture them, not destroy them.

And finally, carpet bombing per se pretty
much went out with the Vietnam War. Our
bombing technology is so much more efficient
now that carpet bombing--even in the appropriate
situation--would be wasteful and inefficient.

> > And "its" as a possessive never, EVER has an
> > apostrophe.
>
> Judy, don't come down too hard down on her. This would be a
> typical German thing to do.

Angela, by her own account, has been teaching
at high levels in the U.S. for many years and
has repeatedly emphasized here how poor her
students' English skills are. If she's in a
position to make that kind of judgment, her own
English skills ought to be above reproach.

 In German, possessives are written with