--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>
> > It's not true, no matter what you might have heard.
> > The misuse of 'its' and 'it's' is one of the easiest
> > ways to tell whether a writer of English cares enough
> > about the readers of his or her writing to use it
> > properly. I would venture to say that there is no
> > book of English grammar out there that presents
> > this misuse as "acceptable."
>
> Please Barry, I was referring to the German use. Here again:
> Apostrophe is correct for German possessive (genitive)
> Example: Michael's Brief
> Correct English: Michaels post.

Nonono!  "Michael's post" is correct in English.

But no apostrophe is used with the pronoun:
"Michael's post is very long, but it's not
long enough to cover its topic."

"It's" is a contraction of "it is" (or "it
has"); "its" is the possessive.

"Its" is like "his" and "hers" and "theirs."
But unfortunately you'll see not only "it's"
for the possessive, but also "her's" and
"their's" sometimes.