<snip>
> They've got whole *departments* in France whose
> job it is to try to protect the language from
> "creeping bastardizations," such as the use of
> the English words "weekend." Some could say
> that it's a fool's errand, trying to protect
> the "purity of the language" this way, but I
> admire it.
>
> The problems of internationalization and English
> having become the de facto "lingua franca" of
> our age make it really *hard* to keep one's
> original language intact and preserve its
> beauty.

Actually, one of the reasons English *has*
become an international language is because its
vocabulary is so rich with words borrowed from
other languages. By some estimates, only a third
of the words used in English came from the
original Anglo-Saxon (although these words are
the most frequently used).