**
*Newfound Planet Could Support Life As We Know It*

NASA / JPL-Caltech
  This artist's conception shows four of the five planets that orbit 55
Cancri, a star
much like our own. The most recently discovered planet looms large in the
foreground. The colors of the planets were chosen to resemble those of our
own
solar system. Astronomers do not know what the planets actually look like.
 ------------------------------

Planet-hunters say they have detected a giant world that
is nestled among four others in a planetary system 41
light-years from Earth. This newfound world is in the
"Goldilocks zone" - a place that's not too hot, not too
cold, but just right for the existence of liquid water
and conceivably life.

The fresh discovery, announced today during a NASA
teleconference, focuses on a star and planetary system
called 55 Cancri, in the constellation Cancer. The
system is already well-known to astronomers who search
for the telltale signs of planets beyond our own solar
system - but the newly detected planet has taken the
search to a new level.

"We're announcing the discovery of the first
quintuple-planet system," Debra Fischer, an astronomer
at San Francisco State University and lead author of a
paper due to appear in the Astrophysical Journal, told
reporters.

Geoff Marcy, a pioneer planet-hunter from the
University of California at Berkeley who contributed to
the paper, said the planetary system is a "souped-up"
version of our own. Like our own solar system, these
planets make nearly circular orbits around the parent
star - but they're super-sized.
The innermost planet is about the size of Neptune and
whips around the parent star in less than three days,
at a distance of about 3.5 million miles. The
farthest-out planet is four times as massive as Jupiter
and takes 14 Earth years to orbit, at a distance of
about 539 million miles - or just a little farther out
than our solar system's Jupiter.

NASA / JPL-Caltech
 This diagram shows the 55 Cancri system at top and our own solar system
at bottom. In each view, the "habitable zone" is marked as a green band.
 MORE HERE:
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/11/06/451256.aspx
  • ... Samadhi Is Much Closer Than You Think -- Really! -- It's A No-Brainer. Who'd've Thunk It?
    • ... Peter
      • ... Samadhi Is Much Closer Than You Think -- Really! -- It's A No-Brainer. Who'd've Thunk It?