--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The notion that different languages constrain our thinking in
different ways is the central tenet of the Sapir Whorff Hypothesis,
and true so far as it goes.  But it certainly is not an absolute
truth. For one thing, languages change especially as a result of
folks inventing new ways to think and do things.  And then, if
Chomsky's and the Vedic views of language are correct (and I think
they are), then the deeper you go, the less constraint there is from
all things, including language.  a

> cardemaister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:                               --- In
FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
>  <mailander111@> wrote:
>  >
>  > I hope you guys don't mind my interjecting a couple of thoughts
>  here.  Sapir Whorf doesn't address the emotional reaction we
often
>  have on hearing the sound of another language. We find French
>  charming, Dutch funny, and German harsh, for example.
>  >
>  >   Instead, the claim is that different languages constrain our
>  thinking in various ways.
>
>  Yeah, I know that. That's why my "emotional level" was
>  emphasized. Should have been more explicit about that.

Just curious, how does this song in Finnish sound
to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eID6o-qbK4&feature=related

I was quite surprised that the people commenting on it
mostly seem to like the way it sounds, although
they don't understand a word. I guess most
of them are big fans of the band HIM (His Infernal Majesty) and Mr.
Ville Valo ("William Light", i.e.  not Darkness).

The last line goes like this: "Kohdusta hautaan ui uuttera lautta,
tuhannen kapakan kautta". (From the womb to the tomb swims the
Diligent Raft, through thousands of beer joints.)