> ... but if you think those videos that Curtis posted are Shotokan,
> then you know nothing of Shotokan as you claimed.
>
> Those videos Curt posted are an insult to Shotokan.
>
> THIS IS SHOTOKAN (that I learned, and these are just people trying to
> qualify for black belt or 2nd dan)
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZlAFJHEu8go

I thought you were a pro science guy.  You know peer reviewed studies?
 The review of martial arts has been settled in the octagon ring.  The
videos I showed were challenge matches by brave Shotokan fighters
against a martial art designed to counter striking arts by grappling.
I have nothing but respect for those guys.  The guys who hide in dojos
and never test their system should be washing their GIs.

The videos on your tape were students in point matches and highly
choreographed demos with people playing the part of an attacker but
then giving no resistance and rolling out of the way when the "master"
touched them.  Ever try to flip someone using one hand who doesn't
want to flip over?

We are exactly 15 years too late for any argument about traditional
karate styles, the issue has been settled in the ring by guys willing
to put their traditions on the line to really find out what works.
Any dojo that isn't cross training now is running an aerobics class.
Not that there is anything wrong with that.  Any attention on any
martial art is great IMO.  So high five for that.  But comparing
choreographed demos to challenge matches is not realistic.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>