> You don't understand Shotokan or martial arts Curtis. Go practice it
> for 3 or 4 years, 5 or 6 hard and heafty sessions a week, then get
> back to me. Then you will understand better what a martial art really
> is and how those competitions cannot possibly test what it is
> designed for. It is designed SPECIFICALLY to block and then kill on
> the second blow, third blow on a bad day. Get it yet. That's it. Its
> not designed for TV ratings bullshit.
>
> What you are talking about is like racing a race car against a
> bicycle, only the race car has no gas in it.
>
> Come back in 4 years when you have studied the topic properly.

My martial arts drug of choice was Jiu Jitsu and I did train hard for
about 4 years.  First I trained in a mixed martial arts dojo that
combined Russian Sambo, Akido, Judo, Tae Kwan Do with Japanese
Jiu-jitsu.  It was the closest thing to the Brazilian Jiu jitsu that I
really wanted to study.  I was using tapes and private instruction to
test the Brazilian style with what my dojo was teaching and it really
came out well.  Once a true Brazilian Jiu jitsu studio opened, I left
my own dojo right before my brown belt test to become a white belt
again.  As Bruce Lee said "a black belt is useful to hold up your
pants.)  After about a year and two shoulder dislocations I had to
admit that fighting guys in their 20's in my 40's really wasn't
sustainable.  But I still train occasionally with friends and love the
sport.

I was never interested in serious striking skills.  With grappling I
could go balls out without as much damage.  But the first UFC's really
were practically no rules, so there is no reason why karate guys
couldn't be tested for real.  Now they use gloves to protect the hand
bones and it makes striking more effective while making grappling a
littler harder.  I think there is something more profound than TV
ratings going on, but this sport isn't for everyone.

I have never seen any evidence for the "one strike one kill" myth in
karate anywhere in any fighting system I have seen.  I think it is a
story like yogis flying in the air. Well I probably give it a higher
probability than flying, but you get my point.

I wouldn't characterize myself as a dope smoking hippie under a tree.
 My singing business keeps me clear of all smoke and I work out almost
every day. My guitar style is very physical so I have to train hard to
perform solo, let alone lugging my gear in an out of shows.  Exercise
is the fountain of youth.  I know you understand with your own active
lifestyle.

So we can agree that we enjoy our own martial arts choices. That seems
good enough for me.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>