On Nov 30, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Bhairitu wrote:

Vaj wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2007, at 12:55 PM, Bhairitu wrote:
>
>> BTW, are you waiting for the second season of Huff on DVD? There was a >> second season. I taped much of it in HD. Loved that series especially
>> the Blythe Danner and Oliver Platt roles.
>
> No, I TiVo'd the entire thing. That's right, I forgot we're already on
> season 3!

Long been canceled. It was a great series but didn't get the numbers.

Are you saying "Huff" was cancelled? Numbers? No one cares for art anymore?!

I also liked "Dead Like Me" whose producer is now doing "Reaper" and
"Jeremiah." "Odyssey 5" was good too but got canceled when the shuttle
broke up. Showtime seems to be beating out HBO and I am going even
check into switch from HBO to Starz as I'll get more OnDemand movies in
HD that way and with the strike we won't be seeing anything much new
from HBO for a while and they're stingy on movies for HD OnDemand and
then zoom in on the 2:35:1 aspect films and I hate that.

I can certainly appreciate your insight here as my experience is the same.

I was just at my local Hollywood Video looking at the titles they have
and realizing most of them both in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are the freebies
you can get when you get a player. IOW, very few new titles and
particularly weak in the HD-DVD area. The kids that work there are
snowed into the idea that Blu-Ray is better but that is no longer
technically correct. Blu-Ray is capable of a slightly higher bit rate
and did have more storage capacity until HD-DVD third layer got
certified recently.

Ya know I kinda operate on the assumption (perhaps false) that unless the guy who lives in a doublewide with a large-screen projection TV (with a dog barking in the yard) can afford to go over to some new format, it's not likely to be something real big.

But the entertainment business being what it is
most disks nowadays are single layer using MPEG-4 AVCHD compression
because if they studio is neutral the can use the same assets on both
disks just by changing the file wrappers. The reduces the COG (Cost of
Goods) which is very important to the bottom line. The original
proposal for HD-DVD by Warner was MPEG-4 on red laser disks (just like
regular DVDs) but the MPEG-LA (licensing authority) came up with a
ridiculous licensing agreement so it was rejected. Funny thing is the
disks have wound up being MPEG-4 anyway.

Well, either way (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD), both have had their encryption schemes published on the net. As long as I can break that encryption and have the freedom to make backups, or time-shift my shows, I care not. But take that away, and that's another story! I want to be able to stream them, wirelessly from a remote PC, burning is already so passe and so wasteful.